Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

dandelions

ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I have got a lot of dandelions in my lawn.

I eat the greens with my salad, but does anyone know if it is ok to eat the actual flowers…they look so delicious I have been eyeing them up all week but have been too wary of poisoning myself to try them!

What other weeds or flowers do you all eat from your garden? One man told me that he eats handfuls of grass to alkalise himself, anyone tried this?

Comments

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

In my Rawsome book by Bridgett Mars dandelions are mentioned as edible flowers so it could be possible you could eat the whole flower. I read somewhere it is a powerful flower but I don’t remember where. So you may not be able to eat too much of it at one time. I haven’t thought about consuming it myself. I think it is interesting you mentioned dandelions because my mom was saying yesterday she heard something about it on the news. It was good things but I wasn’t paying attention. Sorry.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Well I know anything yellow is good for liver cleansing. It seems odd to eat a flower that is so common and ignored and thought of as a pesky weed, but I am drawn to them so I will give it a go and keep you posted.

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

I think you’re supposed to use it as an addition to salads, and not use it like a regular lettuce like kale or romaine.

Also, I’ve read on the rawfoods.com forums that it will make your pee yellow and smelly.

• I love the greens but the flowers are very bitter from what I remember. I ate a tonne when I was little and I haven’t tried them since.

James