Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What if I don't like greens? And nut binging.

What do I do!? Everyone always talks about how important greens are in the diet, but I can not stomach them in smoothies and I don’t really enjoy them in a salad (I’ll go as dark as Romaine and Spinach). I don’t want to have to force them down. How do I handle this problem?

Also, I seem to be a nut/date binger. Any idea to quell this before it becomes a habit? I know that there is a lot of good fat and protein in nuts, but they seem to be a more-ish type of food that sets me off for more more more.

Help the newbie!

Comments

• This is diffuclt to me because I LOVE greens! I also have gone thruogh periods wher I had to have sweets all the time. It is true,the more greens the less the sugar urges. Atlleat for me.
    Maybe add small amounts of the darker greens to your smoothie,trace amounts. Also do you eat green salads? Maybe make salads that of other veg. and to that add small amonts of the darker greens,and make sure you chop or slice the greens small. I really do feel that the more greens in the diet the better. I hope I have been of any help to you?

• Hey Shady Lady! I agree with mham…Make a yummie fruit smoothie and just throw in a few greens. Slowly increase the amount of greens (spinach leaves and/or celery) and lessen the amt of fruit throughout the course of the month. Also, try stomaching down a salad before you eat your nut/date treats. i think you will be surprised at how you slowly begin to aquire a taste for the greens and even crave them! Cut up some dates and throw some nuts/seeds on your salad as a little treat for eating your greens. I believe that greens are VERY important, but don’t be too hard on yourself at first. Keep up the great work!!

• Really!? So gettin’ down the greens might help with the nutty sweet tooth I have?

Maybe it is worth it lol

(Not to mention greens are a lot cheaper than nuts and dates!)

• Yes, yes. I was scarfing raw brownies every day until I started eating large amounts of greens.

• Oh, absolutely! Greens take care of cravings! And I think you will warm to them after awhile. It is kind of like people addicted to chocolate (the bad kind with sugar and milk) put them on fruit for awhile and that will kick it. Same deal here. Get in a habit of getting your energy from a better source and that is what you will want to eat. Greens are our best food…. make a mission of eating some heavy greens… go for the kale and in a few days I think you will feel differently about dates and nuts. It’s worth a try anyway!

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

on greens , well everyones so high on them because of their calcium / vita A / roughage they supply . so just look to ther sources like sesame seeds and almonds for calcium , and carrots plus maybe cantelope for A . and broccoli has both if you like that , for me its a staple plant that i gorge on when ever good crops are coming in . ide feel as though i could healthfully survive on raw broccoli for A CALCIUM FIBER / ROUGHAGE , varying ground seeds like sesame and flax for protien and fat . citrus for C . brewers yeast for the B’s .

but im in the same boat on blowing alot of money on dry dates and nuts . i try to get my sugar kick from cheaper raisins and bananas . and always bargain hunt walnuts and almonds , like right after xmas they go on sale in alot of grocery stores because theyre dumping any excess that shoppers didnt buy for xmas baking before they go rancid . here in detroit ive been finding almonds at 3 per lb and got a big batch of walnuts at 4 per last month . then i like to stretch the almond dollar by making almond milk with like bananas and other goodies to get the nice almond taste . and the walnut by chopping them up coarse and sprinkling on my salads . i also stretch dates and nuts by chopping them up into smaller bits then adding to home made trail mix with alot of like raisin – sun seed – etc in it . i carry the trail mix where ever i go in those plastic type jars peanuts are sold in alot of times , that type container you can just throw any where like in car then when ever need a kick just drink some mix out . i carry the mix and fruit like a banana as my anytimeanywhere quick/easy fuel source .

• Thank you guys so much.

I love love loved greens cooked… so I’m banking on the fact that I will warm up to them (no pun intended) in no time. I could eat buckets of lightly steamed kale with salt.

• SueSue Raw Newbie

Another option is taking a green supplement for a while, like e3live or spirulina. I used to be a major junk food junkie. The only green I would touch would be the grass under my feet.lol. My love for greens didn’t happen overnight. Once I started cleaning out my cluttered closet (toxins from my body,) I just started craving more greens.

• I agree Sue,I take e3live everyday,my biggest splurge.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

There’s no harm in eating the softer greens in salad like romaine and spinach. For darker, you can try baby field mix, they have a lot of the more potent ones but in softer, easier to stomach form. I personally can’t stomach a kale salad, but I like juicing it. I LOVE swiss chard juice, and recently I found out I can stomach it! I absolutely hate eating celery (despite it being so mild) but I love juice. Make green smoothies and salads out of whatever you can stomach. I’m not big on forcing anything down. DO NOT EAT ANYTHING YOU HATE. I get horrible stomach cramps whenever I eat anything that doesn’t taste great. Maybe your body is just not ready? Find a green you love! Baby spinach for one, is awesome. I can eat it plain, I get a pound box and just chow with my bare hands.
    Oh my that was quite a blabber. You get the picture I hope.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i don’t care much for greens either, but there are some ways to prepare kale that make it okay and almost yummy :)

break kale into small bits, pour a decent amount of olive oil on, a good quality salt, and some lemon pepper, allow to sit for about 20 mins.

also, check out my baby spinach salad recipe

• try green lemonade—Juice 1 head of organic romaine, 1 bunch organic kale, 1 organic lemon (with peel), 1 organic fuji apple, an inch of organic ginger. Great way to get greens—very tasty!

and you can totally do a green smoothie—mine doesn’t taste like greens much at all—2 organic bananas, 1 cup frozen organic strawberries, 5-6 leaves of organic romaine, and a BIG handful of organic spinach.