Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How do I live Raw and not spend my life savings?

I love living High Raw and would never go back….but I really want to know how you guys get the best bang for your buck. Nuts and dates are so expensive and it seems like they are used in everything… and in large quantities.

I know the obvious thing is to not use them as much… but I don’t want to just live on salads and smoothies!!
::Not that I don’t looooove them though ; ) ::

Also… what are y’alls favorite grab snacks? For those times when you just don’t want another plain fruit or veggie.

Comments

• Do you have a farmer’s market aroung you? I just went to one in S.Florida and got my nuts and berries for super cheap. Trader Joes is also relatively inexpensive.

Favorite grab snack is frozen bananas and grapes. I also love to cut open a large papaya (scoop out seeds) and eat like sorbet.

Have you tried making your own green bars? I should come up with a good recipe for you because you can mix raw almond butter, dates, spinach, flax, etc; form into bars and dehydrate. Great grab snack I have made in the past, but not sure about quantities. It really isn’t proper food combining either, but we just try to do our best sometimes don’t we!

• That’d be great. I really do want to start eating more greens.

• Grow your own garden!!! Grow your own sprouts (sprouts are dirt cheap)! Greens and fruits are the best form of nourishment (what we should eat the most of) so you can limit your spending money to nuts as a more occasional thing (nuts are the most pricey). Even growing your own herbs on your windowsill. :0) There’s lots of fun ways to do it.

• For sure a garden. Also look for coop buying clubs in your area. Great source for lower priced organic foods.

• SueSue Raw Newbie

Shady Lady, it depends where you live. I have a Whole Foods, a Trader Joes, and a few Asian markets nearby. Trader Joes sells nuts cheap, the raw pine nuts are way cheaper than Whole Foods. An Asian market is a great place to get young coconuts cheap. I also just discovered that BJ’s has organic spinach and organic spring mix for about 1/2 the price of Whole Foods. Growing your own sprouts and herbs is also an awesome idea.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I have started ordering things in bulk that I use a lot, like nuts, seeds, coconut oil, agave, etc. I don’t know if they deliver where you live, but Azure Standard is great for this type of ordering – just check their prices against your local sources. I think it’s azurestandard.com, and then you have to request a catalog and become a member. Costco is now where I buy my organic salad greens and spinach (since they are about half the price I pay for them at any other store), and their avocados are always good! (avocados I don’t worry about buying organic because they are usually never sprayed anyway). Also, if you can get enough people to order together, you can buy wholesale from nuttyguys.com. Any other ideas, anyone? I have a friend who says that he could never go raw because he wouldn’t be able to afford it. He has a prretty small amount of money for food.

• Some things are pricey but I find that kale, collard greens, and very cheap. A big bushel with 12-15 leaves is usually around $3 or so. Very cheap for the yield.

Mary

• I am constantly on a budget but manage to eat raw. I give my self a limit each week then go through supermarket ads and find the best deals. If you have a vallarta supermarket they are great for greens, trader joes for dates/figs/etc., Winco for all kinds of nuts and “meals”, small korean/asian markets for nori and coconut oil sooo cheap.. since its a staple in many of their diets and farmers market for everything else. I just avoid whole food stores in general

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Another way to save $ is by eating vegetable parts that we stupidly discard, like carrot and radish tops. Whenever I have “tops” on some veg, I Google it to see if the they’re edible. Google: “carrot tops edible.” We’re so wasteful.

• Costco! I never thought of that, what a great idea, I have one not far from me, I will have to investigate :)