Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Oven as dehydrater?

AleBrazilAleBrazil Raw Newbie

How do I use my oven as a dehydrator? Do I keep the door open? Any tips? Thanks!

Comments

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Hi AleBrazil,

I have read in a raw foods book that you can use your oven for dehydration. Put it at the lowest possible temperature for 24-36 hours (depending on what it is you’re making), and leave the door slightly open. Good luck! josée.

• oooo! if you try it AleBrazil, you should let us know how it goes!

• That’s a great idea. I’m in Japan for 3-6 months and don’t want to buy a dehydrator as it would be incredibly expensive to try to take it with me later. This will allow to try many recipes I couldn’t otherwise try.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Also a small fan blowing very gently into the crack will help move the air and make it work better. It will also keep it from getting too hot. Use a weather thermometer to test the temps. Go for about 110f or 40c. Good luck and enjoy your Dehydrated Foods!

• AleBrazilAleBrazil Raw Newbie

Thaks for the tips everyone! Now what (beginner´s) recipes do you recommend?

What´s your fave cracker?

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

AleBrazil: There are a bunch of cracker recipes here so far. My current favorite is the Tomato/Cilantro Flax Cracker. I like this one especially because the herbs can be changes quite easily to make a completely new taste experience. And, it is pretty easy to make!

• RawAllaRawAlla Raw Newbie

AleBrazil, I really like flax seeds to bind any sort of fruit or veggies together. Either soak the flaxseeds for 2-3 hours and add chopped veggies and spices to them then dehydrate or grind flaxseeds in the coffeemill or VitaMix and then add fruit or veggies and water. Then dehydrate. Really satisfies a “chip tooth” Thicker crackers take a longer time to dry(like 24 hours). lately I made banana flax crackers and they are yummy!

• AleBrazilAleBrazil Raw Newbie

Oh, btw, its a natural gas stove/oven (in the US we had electric stoves). Is gas okay? Does it work the same? Sounds stupid…

• NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

I just tried this with my electric oven and it wasn’t bad. I had some extra bok choy that I wanted to use up so I made a small mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic powder and applied to the bok choy leaves. I turned my oven on the warm setting for 2 to 3 minutes and then turned it off. I then turned on the oven light switch. I had to keep the leaves in there overnight. Most of it dehydrated well with the exception of 2 leaves.

I am having a bit of trouble trying to gauge temperature and timing. I am not sure how warm it gets in there. If I left the warm setting on longer do you think it would get too hot? Ideally I would like to speed things up if possible.

• I’ve heard that toaster ovens work also?
    is that true, if so how do you use the toaster as a dehydrater?