Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

MSM?

2»

Comments

• Thought I would add to this post rather than start a new one. I have started taking MSM this week and I must say I feel amazing. I mix it into my green smoothy in the morning and into my juice in the evening. Last night about half an hour after drinking my juice with 1 teaspoon of MSM in I felt totally uplifted, everything seemed brighter and I felt I could do pretty much anything, I also felt like I was breathing much more into myself. That sounds odd but it's the only way I can discribe it. I explained it to my SUK hubby and he was tempted to have some. Not that he did lol.

Today I feel great and still everything seems much clearer and sharper. Has anyone else had this sort of reaction??

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Wow! That sounds great Kazzie - I've been thinking about taking it for a while now so definitely going to get some.

• MSM (METHYL SULFONYL METHANE)

MSM is a sulfur-carrying compound that magnifies the nutritional effect of vitamins and helps build the amino acids responsible for protein building and muscle formation. It supports the immune system and almost every major body function. Some possible signs of sulfur deficiency are poor nail and hair growth, eczema, dermatitis, poor muscle tone, allergies, rheumatism, arthritis, weakening of the nervous system, constipation, gout, lowered libido, impairment of mental faculties, and Candida. Sulfur assists in maintaining the pH balance of the body, benefit insulin production, expels parasites, normalizes heart function, and excretes toxins from the liver.

The following are some excerpts from the original patent documents on the benefits of MSM:

BODY: Resistance to sun and wind burn. Benefits for eye inflammation. Oral Hygiene for mouth and gums and improved sense of taste and smell. Benefits internal organs and lung tissue providing relief from the symptoms of lung dysfunction. Speeds wound healing. Beneficial for allergies and other sensitivities, controls problems associated with gastric hyper acidity and relieves chronic constipation. MSM reduces or eliminates hypersensitivity problems associated with oral medications such as nonsteroidal anti-arthritic agents. It provides relief from pain, stiffness, and reduces swelling and inflammation. Reduces hypertension, enhancing the immune system, and is a mood elevator.

SKIN: Beneficial for skin, internal organs, connective tissue, and dermatological disorders. MSM counteracts cross-linking of collagen associated with aging, improves adverse skin conditions, and has a favorable response in treating acne.

HAIR & NAILS: It is beneficial for the scalp and improves hair and nail growth.

PAIN RELIEF: Relieves acute pain, post-athletic activity fatigue, muscle and leg cramps, arthritis, and other sources of pain.

DERMATOLOGICAL DISORDERS: Acne (including Grade 4), acne Rosaceae, and other diverse dermatological problems which are often allergy related respond favorably to using MSM.

MUSCLE CRAMPS: MSM has the ability to reduce or eliminate entirely muscle cramps, leg and back cramps after long periods of inactivity, or in athletes such as runners, football, basketball, and soccer players who experience cramps during the participation of their sport.

MENTAL NORMALCY: Individuals on MSM generally reported increased alertness, reduced mood changes, and very infrequent depression. A few patients on medication intermittently for depression observed that MSM relieved depression within hours rather than days as had been their prior experience with anti-depression medication.

PAIN ASSOCITATED WITH SYSTEMIC INFLAMMATORY DISORDERS: Individuals with signs and symptoms of pain and inflammation associated with various musculoskeletal system disorders reported substantial and long lasting relief while including MSM in their daily diet. Migraine sufferers have obtained substantial relief with MSM.

PARASITIC INFECTIONS: MSM has an alleviating effect on a variety of parasitic infections returning the parasite susceptible tissue to normalcy with no impairment or injury to the host.

The body uses MSM to create new, good healthy cells. Vitamins and amino acids work with MSM during this process. Without proper levels of MSM, our bodies are unable to build good healthy cells which leads to illness. Our body produces new cells 24 hours a day. If our body doesn

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

I've been using just 1 teaspoon of MSM in my morning lemon water for about 6 months. I noticed within weeks that my hair and nails had grown and my skin was glowing.

I recently embarked upon a 3 week megadose cleanse. I stopped because I was displaying quite strong detox symptoms and it was unpleasant. I'm going to do another megadose cleanse starting next week.

I posted the results on my blog www.ifeelalivediet.blogspot.com

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I do love doing the megadosing but dont enjoy the sleepless nights. I get really bad insomnia when I mega dose. I try to switch it up every week or so by doing the minimum and then the max. Seems to work well for me!

Cheers!

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

lulushka8, how much MSM were you taking when you noticed the weight gain?

iliveyourdream, I don't particularly enjoy the sleepless nights either! I'll try your technique.

----------------

• I've been thinking about taking MSM for ages. But... I'm on anti-depressants at the moment, which I hope to come off as I look further to diet to relieve my depression and anxiety... so my question is; can I start taking MSM while I'm still on anti-depressants or should I wait til I'm off them?

• Reviving this thread...

Just started taking MSM. Third day, 1tsp/day.

Updates and experiences?

When I first started taking MSM I gained nearly 10 lbs. Clearly that was water weight. I actually went out and took a pregnancy test because I couldnt figure out what was going on. It finally went away within weeks but let me tell you how much it sucked. I hated it..... as someone who tries to take care of them self and has some residual body image problems gaining 10 pounds was lame! I just got settled in from a cross state move and my msm consumption went down due to chaos on the house. Because of it I started feeling the bursitis in my hips again and my whole body just didnt agree with me so much. Nell I dont know what your reasons for taking this supplement are but mine are due to severe arthritis (I am only 31). I believe this supplement to be beneficial for most everyone for so many different reasons. Especially for those new to raw foods. Really helps detox !

I have pretty lengthy conversations about msm in my blog and how it has helped me run again. Honestly.... in a way it has saved me!

Cheers!

• I'm not a huge fan of supplements, but I don't think the benefits of organic sulfur can be denied. What are some food sources high in sulfur?

• Hi Liveyourdream.

I'm taking MSM for my skin. I've had terrible hormonal breakouts the past few years and need to get a handle on it. As soon as I start to clear up, it's that time of month again! I've also changed to gentler skin care products too (Avene). The MSM is definately giving me a glow, just after a few days, even if my skin isn't clear yet. In fact, I had a friend over last night and she commented on how great I looked. :)

Nell: Thats awesome! It will only get better in time too! I do have to say that I just bought some today and I think it is the best MSM I have ever seen. In fact.. it still seems slightly moist almost. Taste wasnt as bitter either. It is distributed by Natural Innovations Nutrition Inc. I bought it because it was local and I am so glad I did. It is 2000mg (which is a great amount for me and my hips) and came in a 1 pound tub for $23.00. It has been a bit.....how is it going for you???

Curious...curious.....

Cheers!

• IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

I never heard of this MSM.

I have a problem with my arm.

I was attacked by a rottweiler in August, who bit into my elbow so badly I was rushed to the hospital for stitches.

I thought it would just heal and I would move on, but, I cannot because when the winter cold started so did the sharp pains in my arm in the morning when I wake and sometimes throughout the day.

I am afraid I have perm damage done to my arm in the elbow joint.

I wonder if this MSM would help?

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

Updates on using MSM for an extended period? I am considering buying MSM for my dad. I may try it as well, but he needs it for joint pain. I would like to know if anyone has taken it for a few years and seen positive results with no side effects. I'd like to make a convincing argument when I give it to him.

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

Personally, I don't like msm, or the way it makes me feel. I take fulvic acid bonded with ocean minerals (active ionic) and this works much better for me.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

For joint pain he would be better off using essential fatty acids such as omega-3, sources of silica to rebuild the joint/connective tissue, aswell as the herb gotu kola pending that he isnt on medication.

As i said in the other thread we get a large amount of sulfur already from diet.