Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sproutable Pasteurized Almonds!

germin8germin8 Raw Master

We just left My Organic Markets (aka MOMs) in MD and saw a sign on the bulk raw organic almonds. It mentioned the mandatory pasteurization of almonds & how there are different ways to pasteurize. It continued to say that their supplier provides pasteurized almonds that are STEAM pasteurized over 120F and that they WILL still SPROUT! How awesome is that. I got to find the nearest MOMs in Northern VA.

Comments

• I don’t think there is a MOM’s in NOVA, the closet one I know of is the one you went to.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Who knows how to really sprout almonds? I can’t find anyone who does. It’s hard info to find. I have genuinely raw, unpasteurized almonds direct from a farmer, and I don’t know how to sprout them. I just soaked them and dehydrated them.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Too bad… I’ll have to ask the co-op in Frederick, MD (closest one near Leesburg) to see if they can carry steam pasteurized almonds. ...I wonder if Whole Food would do that too? I’m doubtful. They carry lots of their own 365 brand for nuts. I noticed that their sunflower seeds said “raw” and their cashews said “raw” but their almonds didn’t say “raw”. If they’re doing that because it’s pasteurized, then I am impressed.

I haven’t tried sprouting almonds… but, someone posted that they were able too…

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I sprout my almonds by soaking them for maybe 3 or 4 days – always changing the water 3 times daily. After the 2nd day they sprout little tails, and at the fourth they start cleaving. The problem with this method is that it doesn’t work for all almonds. Some almonds don’t sprout and they’ll even start to go nasty with this formula – pasteurized ones? Old ones? I got some from the healthfood store bin and they didn’t work, ones in packages do though. They get really sweet and yummy and the skins easily snap off.

• We rely on sicilian almonds that are not pasteurized. They are available in Canada, don’t know about in the U.S. They also don’t all sprout. I’m sure the hulling process harms some of them.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Carmenita, Thanks, I’ll try that. Do you keep the soaking almonds in the refridgerator at all or just at room temperature?

• Not knowing how long ago this conversation occurred, I will weigh-in that there was a MOM's in Herndon, VA that I visited every time I was in the area. The last time I visited was 2018. Hopefully it is still around.

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I haven't had much luck getting them to sprout. If there are any secrets out there, I'd love to hear them!