Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

probiotic supplement as "yogurt" starter

newbienewbie Raw Newbie

Is it safe/possible to use a probiotic supplement as a “yogurt” starter?

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

any thoughts?

• I used in the past and wish Iwould satr this again,kefir made from young coconut water. google the body ecology diet.

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

Yesterday in one of the b12 forums flybaby put a link up for a product that you can purchase that does this. It is for making saurkraut and kefir and anything fermented? I could have misunderstood.

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

Poemmom’s macadamia cream cheese recipe uses a probiotic powder as a starter culture. I made the recipe and then made yoghurt from a spoonful of the cheese. I have kept the culture going through 4 smallish batches of macadamia milk (a handful of nuts a go) and it’s been making great yoghurt. Today I added some brazil nuts to the mix because I am craving selenium….. hmmmm it’s been parked outside in the sunshine all day and it tastes good. NB the culture seems to set a bit quicker than with dairy.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I’ve seen that same mac cream cheese recipe mopoke and didn’t know where to get probiotic powder.. can you usually get it from a health food store? what types of products would it be near?

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Yes, I use a probiotic to start my coconut yogurt. My favorite brands are ejuva or jarrow.

Cheers!
    Kristen Suzanne

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I tried it last night with coconut milk. I first blended the meat with a little coconut water to make a cream, then added the rest of the water. I used regular health food store brand probiotic supplement (5 capsules worth). I mixed it all together and let the coconut milk sit in a yogurt maker for 4 hours (I used to make it with milk before going raw); however, the coconut cream and coconut water separated. It didn’t have a homogeneous, creamy consistency.

What did I do wrong?

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Try this: I blend the coconut water (about 3/4 cup plus any additional to get it blended with about 3 cups of coconut meat). Then, add the probiotic (3 capsules), put in a glass mason jar with the lid and allow to ferment at room temperature for about 12-20 hours, or until you get your desired tartness. I like to stir in cinnamon and/or fruit after I achieve the desired tartness (or right before I eat it). Coconut yogurt lasts in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days. Works every time and it’s delicious!

Cheers!
    Kristen Suzanne

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

KristensRaw, that sounds so good! Thank you for the recipe. My son loves yogurt, & I am trying to transition him away from dairy. This one I can eat, too!