Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Staying raw in Mexico??

susannabellajanesusannabellajane Raw Newbie

We leave at the end of the month for an 8 day driving/hiking tour of the ruins in the Yucatan Peninsula, so I am asking for advice how to stay raw and healthy at the same time.

The travel guide has me worried….he says we should only be eating cooked food or peel-able fruits like bananas while there, due to the chance we’ll pick up contaminated food. He says no salads, no ice, no street vendor food.

If I bring a large supply of homemade nut and fruit bars (like Lara bars) do you think I’ll have trouble getting it past customs? Any suggestions anyone? Also, has anyone eaten primarily bananas for a week and felt fine? All the fruit sugar makes me a bit woozy if I eat more than a couple of bananas at one time.

Comments

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I would go with what the guide said (and don’t stress too much about it either). I just came back from Mexico and wrote about it on my blog here: http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/2008/02/being-v…. I chose to stick with cooked vegan meals and drank lots of bottled water with my vitamineral green powder. Eating the produce is risky, especially if it’s something that you can’t peel. I felt wonderful as a result of my choices and had a great time, too!

I don’t think you can bring a homemade “anything” through customs, but you “should” be okay with bringing in packaged foods. CHECK with customs (homeland security?) to verify.

Cheers!
    Kristen Suzanne

• You can always be a trooper and bring sprout bags .

• When I travel raw, I soak and dehydrate nuts and mix with dried fruits. I also make my own bars (by processing nuts, dried fruits, and buckwheat groats; then dehydrating.) I haven’t had a problem getting them through, but you are definitely taking the risk that you will have to throw it all out!

Sounds like an awesome trip! Let us know how it went once you get back home.

• susannabellajanesusannabellajane Raw Newbie

Thank you Kristin, Spider and Sedona for your lovely responses. I’ll check out your blog Kristin!

I am very excited about this trip….we pick up a car and then drive to see Tullum and Chichen Itza, and some other sites as well, and if we don’t get too lost it will be great fun.

I am always awestruck in the presence of ancient great civilizations. When I filter my relatively minor troubles through the long lense of time, it never fails to impress upon me how much love and loving action matters while we are here, and how everything else falls away.

• I think you should be ok, if you pack your foods in your checked-in baggage, not your hand baggage!
    (However I don’t know how strict are the rules over there.)
    Besides bananas you could also eat pineapples, mangos, avocadoes, coconuts etc. these also have peels.
    As Kristen mentioned bottled water and superfood powder are a good idea!

• susannabellajanesusannabellajane Raw Newbie

Thank you flybaby for the suggestions. I will bring the superfood power although I haven’t used any before so will search this forum for suggestions on what kind mixes easily and it tolerable taste-wise. But if worst comes to worst and I lose a few pounds I won’t be sad… :)

• One of my friends just came back from Mexico. She has photographs of herself drinking coconut water from young coconuts that came straight off the tree. There were papayas and avocados that also came straight off the tree.

My friend is not raw, but she was eating super healthy and did not get sick. Her skin actually cleared up.

Have fun on your trip!