Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I can't believe how easy sprouting is!

KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

I went raw again last week after a year long hiatus. I only actually stuck with it for about a month or two the first time, so I never really attempted sprouting or anything “fancy”. My local food co-op had a special sprouting jar that inspired me to pick up some bulk grain and give it a try.

Let’s just say that I have some beautiful buckwheat sprouts that will be ready for breakfast tomorrow :)

Comments

• Thanks for sharing. I’ve been experimenting with raw foods for a couple of weeks. I keep avoiding recipes that require sprouting. I guess I’m afraid of doing it wrong or the seeds spoiling in the process. But I think I’ll give it a shot this weekend. Did you use those multi-colored lid sprouting jars? Any advice?

• I agree! I tried sprouting some quinoa the other night and it wasn’t hard at all and so cheap! I didn’t buy that much but it was only 55 cents!

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Quinoa was the first thing I’ve ever sprouted and it was so easy! I’ve sprouted some mung beans and they are ready with tails sticking out, and I am currently sprouting some chickpeas. However, with the chickpeas, I’ve tried sprouting them before but always ended up spoiling them. I’m a bit worried at this point because this is going to be the second night I have them soaking (and I’m not sure if this is ok for them) and the smell is getting stronger. The outer skin of most of them have already come off. I plan on using them in the morning so does anyone know if they are going to be fine. I hate to waste them.

• how long should the tail of the quinoa sprouts be before it is best consumed? the tails of my quinoa sprouts don’t seem to grow beyond 0.3cm!

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Honeygal,
    Really? I find that with the jar method, placing the quinoa near sunlight by the window and leaving it like that from morning until late afternoon, when I come home from school the shoots get pretty long at what seems rapidly! They are especially long after 2-3 days of doing this. But according to the length of growth of your quinoa sprouts, you can certainly consume it at this stage.

• Samilicious, I also tried sprouting chickpeas several times, and I think you should’t soak them that much! I usually soak them for 12 hours and rinse them quite often say 3-4 times a day (if I’m at home, but they sould be ok with rinsing 2 times a day as well)
    They should be fine!