Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Oil Pulling

kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

I saw oil pulling on this site, and after reading a little bit about it on other sites i decided to try it out… I started a few days ago with cold pressed unrefined sesame seed oil and wanted to see if it works… better to try something before rejecting it right? I’m trying to grow the enamel back on my teeth so the one difference for me is i am not brushing with toothpaste afterwards…

I was wondering who else is trying oil pulling and what results you have had with it… does it work? is it worth it? how long before you notice the benefits?

Comments

• I have read this a few times….what is oil pulling???
    I will do a bit of research as well…always more interesting to learn from someone who is actively doing it!

• http://www.oilpulling.com/
    ^^ that website really explains it
    I was actually thinking I would start doing this. I’m doing an MC right now, so I figure while I’m already detoxing, I may as well go all out =P

• sweet…thanks for the link! sounds interesting…..I did a salt water flush this past weekend and not much happened…i think maybe trying something on a more regular base like this oil pulling may be better for me…I will begin tomorrow!!

• My boyfriend has done this and highly recommends trying it. He calls it “interesting.” He also says doing this whitens your teeth and pulls bacteria out of your body as a whole through mucus. It can even help you with many bad health issues such as mouth and gum disease, constipation, skin diseases, ect. The oil sets in your mouth for 20 min daily and you pull it through your teeth, not swishing it. Here is the site he gave me…
    http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling…

• I tried it this morning for the first time…interesting is definitley the perfect description!! I am going to continue to do it each morning and see if I notice any differences as time goes on…..

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I honestly dont think I could hold oil in my mouth for 20 minutes at a time…

• That’s what I thought and was pleasantly surprised this morning! As long as you can breath through your nose it sort of feels like you are just holding spit in your mouth…no gross taste or anything….I told myself I would hold it for 10 mins max (20 did sound overwhelming) and I managed to do it for 15mins…....

• heather, I thought the same but I use sesame oil, which I enjoy the taste of. And after about 5-7 minutes it starts to loose that slick oil consistancey and becomes more foamy like a mouthwash.

• Ah, fellow oil pullers!! :)
    Elizabeth, I too am using cold-pressed sesame oil for oil pulling, and while the oil definitely does change to a thinner consistency and gets creamy-coloured, it never seems to become “milk white” like some sites say it should. Anyone know anything about how to tell if it’s being pulled in the mouth thoroughly enough? Then again, I just read what chakra essence wrote….maybe I am doing it wrong, in that I have been both swishing AND pulling it, so I will read that link next. But, does anyone have any ideas/experiences they can share re: what the end product of the oil,sesame or otherwise, should look like??

• I like to use sunflower oil. The first time i tried it with olive oil and while i did last 10mins it was aweful!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’ve been oil pulling about a week now and everyday I pull up a small ball of phlegm, not more cuz I’m not sick. My teeth have gotten whiter. They’ve always been white, but not my canines – now even they’re white. Anyway, today something nasty happened, while pulling the most nasty smell came into my mouth. I had to spit it out. I started again, and more nasty shit smell. I managed to do it all for about 15 minutes, but I was disgusted while brushing my teeth with the smell that was coming out. Ever kissed a smoker first thing in the morning? That kind of shit smell. I’ve never smoked. What the hell was it? Any clues?

beckybeth Deleted
  • Tiger lily- I started using seseme /c that’s what I had on hand and it didn’t get white either. More like the color of tahini, lol. But I bought some sunflower oil to try and it’s not only much milder in flavor but it’s getting white now too. I think it just may have to do with the type of oil and how long you have it in your mouth.

• WOW I would be at work when I read this post, and just to think I just took some sesame oil back to the store because I figured I didn’t need it. Thanks for the originator of this post (Kundalalita for bringing this new to GONERAW. I really am in need of this as for some reason my gums have started to bleed since I have been doing my juice feast. Please lets keeps this post going for all who will be doing this and check in to let us know how it is going.

This Site RAWKS>

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

I’ve been pulling off and on for 8 months. The longest time was three months straight. I had some great reactions! My teeth whitened, I feel asleep easier, woke easier and quickly (never had that happen in my life!), made my keratosis pilaris nearly dissapear, made my cracked heels go away, gave me incredible energy….I’m sure there’s more. On the negative side, oil pulling combined with green smoothies made my face break out horribly! I know it was detox though. I took a pulling break and am now seriously back into it. I am taking Pantothenic Acid to help with the acne. I use Sunflower, Sesame, and Coconut. Coconut is the best for teeth whitening. Good luck!

• Stefunk my face has broken out horribly doing the juice feasting. Is that a supplement you were taking the Pantothenic Acid. Also were you melting the coconut oil or is there a liquid form.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

Stefunk, wow all those effects sound so great! and thanks for everyone’s input…

but I think I must be doing something wrong…after 2 1/2 weeks i haven’t really noticed much of a difference, or maybe the differences are too subtle. How long was it before you noticed the benefits stefunk?

Carmentina, thats pretty cool! did that happen again? glad you posted that, that makes me think it really does work… for me though, it doesn’t look like mucus or any other crap coming out, just looks like 20 mins of saliva mixed with oil lol…

your welcome ardesmond, let me know how it works for you

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Kundalalita, I’m on a Master Cleans now, so I’ve stopped oil pulling, but I’ve definitely got some detox issues going on that are connected to that stink that came up – on the MC my breath has gotten pretty rancid. Hopefully whatever it is is coming up and OUT so I can get back to normal. Yuck. I’ll start oil pulling again in a few days.

ClaireT
  • synapsynap Raw Newbie

In my analysis of what is happenning with the process of oil pulling, and Carmenita's experience, these things come to mind. The inner surface of the mouth, in particular the inner cheecks have many pores which secrete liquids, such as saliva and other things. It may be that some of Carmenita's pores excreted something that was lodged into them as the oil began to loosen the pore vessel surfaces.

ClaireT
  • beckybeth Deletedbeckybeth Deleted Raw Newbie

I started oil pulling this week. Instead of spitting it in the garbage, I thought I would spit it into a jar, then toss the contents when full. When I went to spit the second batch into the jar, I opened the lid and almost puked from the smell. It smelled like dead animals. You cannot tell me it doesn't work. I eat pretty clean, but I drink. I must have a LOT of toxins. 

ClaireT
    beckybeth said:

I started oil pulling this week. Instead of spitting it in the garbage, I thought I would spit it into a jar, then toss the contents when full. When I went to spit the second batch into the jar, I opened the lid and almost puked from the smell. It smelled like dead animals. You cannot tell me it doesn't work. I eat pretty clean, but I drink. I must have a LOT of toxins. 

Now that I think about it, it is dead animals. Time to stop eating meat. After more days of spitting in that jar, the smell is the most vile smell I think I have ever smelled. I hold my nose when spitting. 

ClaireT

Well, I quit eating meat on November 2. I have to let you all know that after two weeks of oil pulling and not eating meat, when I spit the oil pull saliva into the new jar, it no longer smells like rotting flesh. Just think about that for a minute. I don't know how I can ever eat meat again after that smell, that smell of decaying flesh that came from my mouth, my body. Guess I could watch some PETA videos to solidify my decision....

ClaireT
  • DiorellaDiorella Raw Jr. Leader

I do it. For 20 minutes. What do I do while swishing? I use the internet to kill time. It removes toxins from the body. So don't swallow it. Plus it's perfect for oral healthy. I use coconut oil. Some change their oil in the 10-minute time, then continue swishing the newly changed oil inside their mouth for another 10 minutes.