Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

wheatgrass misunderstanding

For a while now I have been throwing in blades of wheatgrass into my morning green smoothies. My vita mix blends it up great. I am now starting to grow my own and on one of the seed packages it says to never consume the grass itself only the juice and that the grass is indegestable to humans?!? Is that possible?

Comments

• karrie I have been wondering about this as well because I don’t have a juicer and I want to add wheatgrass into my diet.

• I know I was totally baffled by the idea that it was indegstable for us. I have been using it for about 8 months with not a single issue.

• I just looked that up after reading this, and apparently you do need to juice the wheatgrass for it to truly be beneficial! I never knew that either! I read on three different websites that it is indigestible by humans unless juiced!! Amazing. I never would have known.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

We had this topic come up recently here. My suggestion was to blend it with water and strain it through a nutmilk bag. If the grass blends, it would seem to make it more digestible. Do you grow your own wheatgrass? I’m considering ordering some frozen juice because of the mold problem others have had with indoor grown wheatgrass. The weather where I live has not been good enough this year to grow it outside.

• See… I always just rationalized that because it was a thicker grass…and cows eat grass but have four stomachs…somehow it would probably not be good digestivley. When I tried looking it up I came up with a lot of the benefits of wheatgrass but not much else.

123, where would you order the frozen wheatgrass juice from?

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

If you eat it with nuts or seeds, you will be able to digest it. I heard that on my David Wolfe CD. And in my Ann Wigmore books, they say you can chew the grass (adding the nuts or seeds will help the blades to disintegrate in your saliva) or juice it. Try it, chew on the grass for awhile, then add a little bit of seed into your mouth, it will digest…

It is like adding peanut butter to gum if it is stuck in your kids hair…it will fall apart, the blades of grass will fall apart/break down.

• elizabeth – I know at my Whole Foods (St. Louis) they have the wheatgrass in the frozen section so I assume they would have it at all.

Chewing it doesn’t mean swallowing it. You could chew on it and then spit out the fiber. I don’t think that you would get a sufficient quantity of juice though.

I looked on the Internet and the best price that I’ve found and the easiest ordering is from dynamicgreens.com. There are a few other sources online. It’s very expensive, but if it does what I read that it does, I would be willing to pay.

I wish there was a Whole Foods near me.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

- i use the blending in water then straining method

- but i couldnt care less what supposed know it all scientist of earth have to say vs my common sense in this matter . #1 – the scientist havent proved to be all that bright in terms of leading the people of earth into a healthy state , look around at all the flabby / diseased people for all the evidence you need . im thinking for myself . #2 – so what if the grass doesnt break down and get absorbed into the blood stream , the fiber / roughage is a good intestinal broom . the only thing ide be cautious of is ingesting too much grass fiber which may some how form a dam / clog in the tract which might become difficult to break down / eliminate .

• I think the Whole Foods near me is worthless (except for produce)... I’m in Houston and it’s shocking how unhealthy this city really is, even a WFM. I didn’t believe it when I came here but after living here for a few months, it’s awful.

But if they have it in St Louis, I suppose there is hope.

I think that after reading more about wheatgrass, I will grow my own.

I’m in Texas too, but nowhere near a city the size of Houston. I used to go there when I visited my cousins and the city would spray the streets with mosquito spray. I remember following the truck on bicycles! Yuk!!!

if your in texas i bet wheat would grow near all year outdoors , it is a VERY vital plant that grows fast and is hearty . ive been gardening 15 years and experimenting with all kinds of greens , vegis , herbs , etc – and thee most vital/ strong seed ive ever planted is wheat . SUPER EASY !!!!!!!!!! just lightly cover with quarter inch of soil and water lightly every day . some people dont even cover with soil but rather just press into soil , it still grows because its such a strong seed . seeds dirt cheap too .

I just ordered 10 pounds of organic red wheat seed for $18.00 with shipping. I’m about to move back to NM for an indefinite time, so I’m going to start some there. Both places have been extremely windy and cold this winter, but I’m going to drink wheatgrass juice come hell or high wind! How deep should the dirt be in a container or does it matter? I hope that I can keep the cats out of it! We have so many ferrel cats in my town in NM, I may have to put a cage over the plants.

i grow wheat in the cheap plastic dish pans with about 5 inches of soil . youll be amazed at how the roots , after about a week , coarse thru all the soil in pan . and if you grow outdoors , cover the area with black plastic to hold heat in soil , and keep wind from cooling soil . then when grass sprouts remove plastic . you could use a plastic garbage bag . if in dish pan outdoors could just wrap the bag around entire pan to keep heat in til sprouting . its like a mini greenhouse .

• Yes, in order to get the full benefits of wheatgrass it should be juiced ... if you don't want to go through the hassle of growing your own and juicing it, add wheatgrass juice powder to beverages. I use www.SweetWheat.com and my family loves it :)

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Yes, DO NOT eat the grass, you can chew it yes but then you spit it out. Even cats and dogs will throw it back up.

There is frozen juice but it is not as good and you will not get the same results as juicing it yourself. The nutrients you need evaporate very quickly after juicing and needs to be consumed right away like within 15 minutes.

I Love growing my own!

• Blue_Eyes is right. If you buy fresh wheatgrass or grow your own, don't eat it- you have to consume the wheatgrass juice for all the benefits you can read about online. If you don't have a juicer or it's just too much of a hassle, try freeze-dried wheatgrass juice powder. You can mix it with water or toss it in a smoothie or drink. It also comes in capsules you can swallow. Those are good if you don't like the taste. Here is an example of powder http://www.sweetwheat.com/store/wheatgrass-juice/sweet-wheat-large-powder-30-grams/ and here is an example of the capsules http://www.sweetwheat.com/store/wheatgrass-juice/sweet-wheat-large-capsules-60-count/

Good luck. :)