Eating raw locally

Does anyone eat raw on foods available locally? I live in Northern California which is bountiful with produce, but I find that even here it is difficult to eat local and raw, especially in the winter. Many winter vegetables are ones that need to be cooked, and apples and citrus only can get tedious. I can picture a lot of green smoothies filled with kale and collard greens, but I prefer eating my foods whole instead of in smoothie or juice form. I end up buying a lot of imported fruits and veggies during this time. Thank goodness spring is coming soon.

Do you think it’s possible to eat raw locally where you live? I’m sure some Northern and inland climates would have a harder time with it and perhaps tropical and Mediterranean-like climates would have an easier time.

I’m defining local as food that was grown within in a 100-mile radius of where you live.

Comments

• I live in northeast Indiana and I cannot eat raw locally once the farmer’s markets are finished for the season. I mainly try to buy organic at the supermarkets during the winter and early spring. This year I am going to try to freeze more local produce to help through the down months here. I am also just starting to learn about sprouting and that can be done all year!

• I try to eat organic as well, but eating locally is very difficult here in Germany especially in winter. Local produce are my apples, kale, onions and carrots. Almost all of the produce are imported in the supermarkets here. But if I can I try to choose the local products( or at least that of the neighbouring countries).

I like sprouting too, and try to eat a lot of sprouts, they are inexpencive, nutitious and don’t have to be transported long distances.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I tried eating what grows on the ranch where I live, but a person can only eat so many cactus and mesquite beans! Actually, my neighbors had a great organic garden last spring and we had lots of good produce. If we could ever stay put, I’ll have a garden of my own next spring. I live in cattle country in two states and I don’t eat beef (nor do we raise animals for food)! Some of the people around here only eat meat and potatoes. It’s difficult to get anything green other than iceburg or romaine lettuce. I do sprout seeds as well.

• At least you’ve got romaine! :-) I guess I’m more fortunate than some. I live very close to a few year-round markets, but it’s kinda bleak this time of year. I’d love to grow some of my own food, but we already have 3 of us plus a cat sharing a one bedroom apartment. If we ever get into a bigger place, or a place with a porch, I think I’ll start growing something more than sprouts.