I'm seriously thinking about going raw in about 2 months...any suggestions?

I’m seriously thinking about going raw in about 2 months…any suggestions? I’m afraid sort of, which is weird. Will I miss all my fave foods? And will this be too hard to do with an active and busy lifestyle?

Comments

• Heya :) Starting out raw is always difficult as we are attached to our cooked foods. It is good to let yourself have time before going raw to plan and research. I recommend reading as many books as possible on the subject so you can get a feel for being raw. Ask lots of questions here :) I find people are always willing to help out with advice and comments. You should go through the recipes here and find some that sound good to you before you turn raw so you have some prepared menus!

The easiest way to go raw is to introduce green smoothies into your diet, I recommend ‘Green for Life’ by Victoria Boutenko, it will really show you how amazingly good greens are for us! Another thing to think about is do you have the equipment for raw food? Blender, Food Processor, Dehydrator, Juicer are the basics. Do you have some of these already? Need to find them?

Just a starter for you ;)
    Good luck.

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

Here is what I did, and I’ve been raw for almost a month. I wrote down all the foods that I do like that are raw. I started by eating these foods mostly, and gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted if I really needed it. The only exception I gave myself was NO dairy or meat. Also, prep your family for the upcoming change. Let them know that you might be cranky for a couple of days while you detox. This would be when you are ready to go forward with raw full force.
    I know for me, I have a list of cooked foods that I will allow myself to eat if I really want it.
    I think I really wanted this raw diet bad enough that I was willing to push through the uncomfortable stuff. I had health issues that needed attention, and no doctors could help me, so I am helping myself.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

thanks, evildarkvirus. I have all of those machines except for a dehydrator. I did read one of Victoria Boutenko’s books..I think it was the twelve steps to becoming raw or something. I am currently mostly vegan…but I eat dairy sometimes. I also love fruit and veggies….I do only eat fruit for breakfast, and I drink fresh carrot juice alot for lunch….so you see, I kind of have a start going. My dad makes the most delicious green drink ever…I love it and I have it for dinner sometimes….I eat big salads with avocado alot too.I have just felt lately that my body desires raw and fresh foods, so that’s why I was wanting to go completely raw. I sometimes have a few days where I eat almost completely raw, but I would just like to be more consistent with that. The main thing I have a hard time letting go of is cooked sweet stuff(candy, cake, frozen yogurt/ice cream, cookies, etc) Also I really love bread products, mostly the sweet kinds, once again.Anyway, I have been doing alot of research about being raw and I have read some stuff about it..and I am thinking I will try to get there eventually. Right now I want to focus on eliminating dairy entirely( I love cheese ): ) and eating lots of fruits and veggies. I have been looking at these recipes here…wow there is so much to choose from!! I think I’ll be not missing anything when I go raw. I am kind of excited now (: Saraw: First of all congrats on sticking with it for a month already..way to go! That sounds like a great way to start… I think I’ll do that when I start. My family is supportive of me, so that’s a great thing. Yeah, there are some cooked things that are just too hard to give up ;) Also yeah, alot of health issues can be fixed just by changing your diet..if only people knew….you sound like a reasonable kind of raw foodist…I am encouraged now (: thanx

• Hey again :D I know exactly what you mean about cheese!! I am trying to give it up but I am finding it very hard. sob. Maybe we could support each other in our brave attempt to give it up! lol.

lol…i’m right with you..i just finished a tube of goat cheese that has been in my fridge for awhile..couldn’t let it go to waste…;) man was it ever good…but I had it on salad..do i get points for that? lol right now I am trying to keep it out of the house, but my family eats alot of cheese and I don’t see that stopping any time soon, oh well…ya let’s support each other..onward to dairy-free!!!

• Lol. I love cheese. Sometimes I crave it and have a few slices of cheddar. I went out and bought a bag of cashews, I plan on playing around with some raw ‘cheese’ recipes to try and get over cheese! I had stuffed mushrooms for lunch today.. they were stuffed with cheese.. but it was with salad, does that make it ok? Lol.

Good luck being dairy free! Be sure to let me know how you go. Feel free to email or msn me when the cravings get too much :P

Oh, I like mozzerella the best…of course i love almost every kind of cheese, though.lol…this will be hard….i’m thinking i’ll go very sloowly…thanks for the support (:

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I never had any problems like that. For me, it was a solid decision I made…not to eat animal products and to try to eat as much raw foods as possible and as little cooked food as possible. I never had any cravings for cheese or any other meat or dairy product. Even when I was on my juice fast, I made my mind up to not eat food, so I could look at food and recipes and such and not have cravings for those foods. Also, I think that juice fasting is best to be done before you incorporate a raw food program. It helps detoxify and also kindof like wipes the slate clean so it is a lot easier to try to eat raw foods, after a fast.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

If cheese is not in your house, you will not be able to eat it. For me, that is not that easy because my entire family ( a very large family) eats normally like the average American. Though I do think they eat a little better than the average American.

wow, great job being so decided…i know for me that i am going to have to do it slowly…i made that decision about meat and have never turned back, but it has been hard with the dairy….i really enjoy raw eating though.