Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I want some potato chips

sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I tried dehydrating some sweet potato, and I thought they were just gross. However, I didn’t add anything to them. I am more of a yam eater though, can you eat raw yams? I know that a lot of people use these two words interchangeably to mean the same food.
Or what about regular white potatoes slathered with olive oil, salt, and onion?

Comments

• ‘Normal’ potatoes are poisonous when eaten raw. Not a good idea!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

They’re only toxic if they have green in them. It’s a good reason to never buy potatoes that have been washed and peeled because processors usually just trim the green and then sell them. I wouldn’t cook and eat a green potatoe, either, not just raw green potatoes.

Raw, uncooked potatoes are not toxic but I think they taste like yuck.

Yams are not the same as white potatoes. Maybe people were confusing yams with sweet potatoes, which happens a lot. I see store mislable sweet potatoes as “yams” all the time because they think it sounds more exotic. It’s very hard to find real yams.

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

Okay, the tubers that I like the best are nice and orange, and they are labeled as yams at the grocery store. The ones next to those are very pale, yellowish, and those are labeled sweet potatoes. Then they have red garnet yams. Those ones are a very deep redish orange color.
    So, I am wondering if these are labeled correctly.
    Maybe I will do a google image search.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I was just reading about yams vs sweet potatoes. A lot of the stores call sweet potatoes “yams” even though thtey are not. Anyway, the article said that actual YAMS are toxic when eated raw, but sweet potatoes are find eaten raw. You can google this and read the results. I always buy the deep colored ones, not the pale yellowish ones. I have made yam chips from them and am living to tell the story, so maybe they really are sweet potatoes like the article said, just labeled as yams…weird…

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Alissa Cohen book has a recipe for dehydrated raw potatoe chips and they are great. They are the vinegar and salt type. I have made them many times and everyone loves them. You need a spiralizer to get the size right so they dehydrate cripsy. The recipe is basically thinny sliced potatoes (any sort you wish), marinate in apple cider vinegar for 15 minutes, put on dehydrator sheets, salt, flip over when firm and dehydrate until crisp. Real easy. Plus my house smells like an English pub when the dehydrating – yum!

I think she also might have a recipe for sweet potato chips too but there is a recipe on here for that too. I think there is another thread on potatoe chips – you might want to do a search.