Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Why do we get cravings?

I know what is good for me and I know what is not. I know what true hunger feels like. I know that it will benefit my body more to eat a green smoothie than an omelette.

Then why do I crave cooked things? I feel like my head is in the right place with all of this. But I always am craving sweets and chocolate and cooked foods. I don’t understand. I know that when I eat them I am going to feel it later. And I know that chocolate at night keeps me from sleeping. But I insist on it anyways.

I feel like I don’t understand my own body.

Why do I crave foods that my mind knows ARE NOT good for me at all?

Comments

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

Me to. We need help!

• I don’t know exactly why; however, going for a walk, doing sit ups, push ups or any type of physical activity always seems to curb my cravings for bad food. After the workout my body seems to change its cravings to raw foods, usually fruit to give it back the energy it just exhausted. I hope it helps you as well.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I have heard food cravings come from a lack of a certain nutrient. eg.We crave chocolate when PMSing due to a lack of magnesium.

In addition, I believe our upbringing plays a big role in what we reach for! Nature/nurture.

Awwww Rawkarategirl, you make it sound like you are naughty. We are only human you know. The occasional craving is not a sin! A craving is your body trying to tell you something. Sometimes our brain doesn’t quite know how to accomodate our body, or at least it thinks it does, ie cadbury bar while PMSing! Hope this helps. Peace and Metta to you both! :)

• Gabriel Cousins in his books “Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine” and “Conscious Eating” says that there are organisms living inside our bodies that are responsible for cravings. Mostly it is yeast that is related to the sugar cravings. When all of these impurities, both toxins and parasites, are eliminated, then we only look for the good stuff.

I know, cravings are weird. I break mine up into different types:
    1) something my body needs (this is when it is smart and telling me something true)
    2) something my emotions/habits want (usually related to a fun aspect or tradition or related to stress)
    3) something my body desires (related to some kind of imbalance, kind of like an addict jonesing but probably not as severe)

For me it is important to be able to tell the difference between them and not fool myself into thinking that baked spaghetti or potato chips are something I should eat even though I have a strong craving for them. The ‘real’ cravings seem to be strong, but more peaceful.

• An interesting idea that i have heard and considered is that cravings are based largely around the presence of certain things in our body…often the cravings for ‘tasty-not-quite-nourishing’ SAD food is due to toxins that are present in the body. Burroughs promotes this idea and a primary aim of doing the Master Cleanse is to rid the body of those toxins through cleansing. Once the toxins have been removed from the body you won’t have those cravings (in theory)

I had a really hard time avoiding cooked food until I did the Master Cleanse and since mid-January I have been craving free…now all i crave is thai coconuts, kim chi, almond butter, and kale…still cravings yes, but I feel like they are more acceptable/tolerable cravings…all that is theoretical I suppose. It worked for me (and my older brother) so perhaps it is a valid claim