Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How Do I Help My Child Eat Raw?

angie207angie207 Raw Master

My son is six years old. By the time I started to eat healthy, he was three and already addicted to junk food. He has always had a problem with textures of fruits and vegetables. He likes apples, grapes, and sometimes celery. Anything mushy will not get past the first touch of his lip. He loves juices – pasteurized, strong-flavored juices. I have successfully switched him to whole-grain breads, crackers, waffles, etc. and he does not get sugar at home. He is sad a lot because I won’t cook/buy all the things for him that I used to. If it was up to him, I think he would live on meat, eggs, cheese, and sweets. He will sometimes drink a smoothie, but not very much of it. He will eat salad if it is drenched in store-bought Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing, which I stopped buying a while ago. A lot of times I think he just decides he isn’t going to like it if it is a vegetable, or is raw, or whatever. I have even thought about making healthy foods while he is at school and printing up pretend food labels that I can stick on plastic bags so he won’t know it is raw or homemade. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Another challenge is that we live with my parents, and my dad pretty well lives on meat, eggs, cheese, sweets, chips, etc. with occasional vegetables and pasteurized juices, and my son wants to eat what Grandpa is eating. I want to teach him that it is important to eat healthy, and I want him to enjoy his food!

Comments

• Angie-I’m glad to help. I myself and only 14 years old, and have been raw since about your son’s age. One strategy is try to make a raw version of his favorite cooked foods, such as pizza, cheesy cracker, etc. There’s a spicy cheezeit recipe on this website that he may like, but I wouldn’t let him know it’s raw if I were you. Kids are funny that way, if it tastes good but has “yucky” ingredients (to them), they will stop eating it. Or, there’s multiple pizza recipes on this site.
    Again, wait till he’s older to tell him what’s truly in these raw creations. Don’t allow him to eat other kid’s cooked luches in school, and makesure the teacher doesn’t let him if he try’s to be sneaky. You don’t have to do this, but if you want him completely raw you shoul

Kids also love ice cream, cookies, sweets, etc.
    Try to make creamy, delicious ice creams that he won’t know are made of cashews or something (or whatever else you put in your ice cream)
    Always keep something around for him, and when he’s used the snacks you make tell him what’s in them.
    Kids truly don’t like greens, especially spinach. Although I love spinach. Make smoothies for him, but leave the greens out.
    I hope some of this helps a little.

• Oh and don’t forget chocolate!! That’s a kids favorite treat. Take a wrapper of a hershey bar and wrap it around the raw chocolate bar recipe I’m about to post. Hope he likes it :)

• Okay, I know I’m bugging you, but I have another idea. It’s more of a game, but he might enjoy it. Ask him what are his favorite foods, and tell him you will create a raw version. He’ll be the judge, and decide whether it tastes good. Chocolate coming soon :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

rawclaire, thanks for the ideas! It helps to hear your perspective. I didn’t have the experience of eating raw as a child, so I didn’t know what to do to help him. I talked to my son today and explained that we are not the same people as his grandparents, and that our family eats healthy. He was sad about it at first, but I made him a lunch of things he likes (all raw!), and I made an ice cream to put into the freezer. He was asking for chicken in his lunch (like I used to make it), but he ended up being totally satisfied with it after I told him we weren’t going to put meat in it. Someone just posted a recipe for raw peanut butter cookies, and my son has been asking for peanut butter cookies lately. I think I’ll make them while he is at school so he won’t know they are raw. Another thing I told my son a while back (and reminded him today) is that if a thing is raw, he can have as much as he wants. Other things I limit depending on their nutritional value. I guess if I am willing to be consistent and persistent, eventually things will get better. He eats a lot better now than he did a couple of years ago; I just need to be patient.

Other ideas and suggestions are always welcome – everything helps!

rawclaire, we must have been writing at the same time! You are not bugging me – believe me, it is all extremely helpful and welcome! The game is a good idea. One of the things I made for his lunch today was raw applesauce – just ran peeled, cut-up apples through my Omega juicer to make applesauce, then added cinnamon. He liked it, and I realized he really wants us to eat the same things and eat together. I was done eating, and after a little while, he told me he was done. Then when I was going to finish the applesauce, he decided that we could eat the rest together. Also, I made a berry pie last night, but he said it was too sour. He said he wants me to make it again, though, if I can make it sweeter. I think a huge part of the solution is that I realize he and I are not the same, and that I make things differently for him than I would for just me. HELLO! It helps to have another perspective to help me see the obvious. Thanks!

• I’m glad I could help! What’s his favorite food? Have you tried recreating this raw yet? I have alot of sweets in my recipe collection on here, so that may help. What was his favorite raw food that you prepared for him? That’s a good idea to prepare things while he’s at school!
    I wanted to ask you also have you tried making the peanut butter in those cookie sandwiches with those jungle peanuts of yours? I have the same ones, and can’t wait to try it! :) Always glad to help with your son.

I don’t have any of the jungle peanuts right now – I’ll have to get some now, though. My son loves pepperoni pizza, and so far, he doesn’t like any of the pizzas I have made. I may try the raw pepperoni on this site, but it has liquid smoke in it, so I don’t know. He loves anything with cheese in it, and I just can’t replace the gooeyness of melted cheese. He also loves yogurt, and I got directions from one of the forums about making yogurt from young coconuts. His other favorite is eggs. He eats a lot of bread – toast, grilled cheese sandwiches, pancakes, waffles, etc. I have switched these to whole grain versions, but he doesn’t like the raw “breads” I have tried so far. He does like some of the pies and ice creams I make, and he has even been asking for them once in a while. I also can’t make enough lemon-lime-aid to keep him happy. I just remembered that when he has the lemon-lime-aid, he doesn’t miss the other juices so much. It gets expensive, but maybe I can make it into popsicles so it will last longer:) I just made cashew mayonaise, and I want to try to make something out of it that will make him happy. Any ideas?

• Yea, we were typing at the same time! Ok, I’m glad I’m being helpful!
    Hmm, he doesn’t like the pizzas. I’m sure you could leave out the liquid smoke in that pepperoni recipe, it concerned me also. I’ve also been a fan of that gooey cheese in pizza, and have not easily been able to recreate it. We’ll figure it out, sometime, I guess! Good idea about the yogurt!
    There’s a brand that makes sprouted breads that are supposedly baked at low temperatures, called Manna Bread. So if he has to have bread, maybe this would be okay in small quantities. In addition, in small amounts I will drink a little bit of hot chocolate with lowfat milk. It seems really harmless, if he craves something warm. You could try making a raw version of the Ezekial Bread (cooked sprouted bread) out of sprouted grains ground up into a dough, and then dehydrated in loaves. Try the kids category on this site, they have a fudgesicle recipe and others. You could also look into my Doritos Cheese recipe, which is very cheesy and probably a good snack for kids.
    I’ll start adding some recipes like substitutes for eggs, waffles, and breads, and you can test them out with him! :)Also a good use of lemons and limes is to grind their flesh up with ice and maple syrup or agave nectar. Tastes quite refreshing! Cashew mayonaise might go well on some..hmm, maybe raw corn chips, or dehydrated veggie chips? If he likes greens, you could top some on a salad, or even eat the mayonaise with a spoon. Kids are funny, they like and hate certain things that adults like :)
    Does he like any type of raw crackers? Making cheesy-flavored things might appeal to him.
    When he eats these healthier things, he will be too full to eat the other things. So whenever he asks for an egg or pizza or anything, you could say, “We’re going to have dessert first” and give him some healthy raw cake or ice cream, and then maybe some crackers. He’ll be too full for the unhealthy food he asked for!
    Also, just remember he’s growing and needs alot of protein, so I suggest adding a little nutritional yeast to his diet. It’s yucky (depending on the brand you buy), but you might be able to sneak it in his orange juice or other drink without him noticing.
    What does he normally eat at breakfast and at school? I have an almond(or peanut) butter and jelly sandwich that may help a little. Let me know how he likes your raw creations! I’d be interested.
    :)

That’s funny, now we’re on at the same time again – you seem to be in tune with what I need today – thanks! I never thought about his eating mayo with a spoon! He does like pb & jelly; the recipe would be great! The only way he likes manna bread is as garlic toast (olive oil, garlic & salt in the blender then poured on the sliced manna bread & dehydrated for a couple of hours). I’m glad you reminded me; I haven’t made it for him in a long time. I am making the pepperoni anyway, just with half the amount of liquid smoke. If he likes it, I figure a couple of times a year isn’t going to be too bad. He said he wants the “unhealthy pepperoni,” but at least he knows I am trying to make things he likes. If he doesn’t like it, at least I won’t have to worry about the liquid smoke issue. The ground ice/lemon idea is great! I have an ice shredder; we can make snow cones! Any other ideas for snow cone flavorings? Also, the idea of dessert first. I realized today that if I have things ready that he can eat easily when he gets hungry, he won’t think as much about the other things. I think he gets plenty of protein when I have cashew pies/ice creams in the freezer, but thanks for the nutritional yeast idea. At school, he eats whatever I send with him, so as long as I am prepared he doesn’t have to eat school lunch. Usually a sandwich or soup.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i agree with rawclaire, don’t stress the health benefits, the fact that is raw, nutritious etc… it is a primal thing to want to eat stuff that is VISUALLY appealing AND delicious. i don’t know a child who will not devour an entire plate of his/her favorite fruit, esp. if it is cut up nicely, and just sort of casually placed on the kitchen table for grabs.

my mom had a friend who couldn’t get her child to eat veggies. so my mom suggested getting some japanese tools for making vegetables into cool shapes. this might not work as well for boys, but it depends on how visual he is i guess. getting him involved in chopping, mixing, pouring, shaping is a great way to get him interested in good foods. also, taking him on a field trip to a farm to see how things grow is eye-opening. this worked for me! i didn’t even know swiss chard grew like that! get him picking his own tomatoes and he may just eat them.

oh, one more thing: my mom always talks about educating a child’s palate. she did this from my birth, blending up anything that she was eating into baby food. but in any event it is something that grows gradually and WILL grow as the child develops the ability to taste different flavors and to differentiate between the good, the bad and the ugly. =)

good luck!

pianissima, thanks for the input. I have had him help me, and I think that it helps him want to eat it more; he likes to make things look pretty. We have also started growing a garden – last year was the first year, but this year he is going to try to sell vegetables to the neighbors to earn money. I think it will help sink in – if I and all the neighbors eat vegetables, why can’t he? I also realized that I need to make things that are time-consuming while he has something else to do – he gets to know about the idea, maybe help me a little, but not be bored waiting for three hours while it is in the dehydrator. I think I just get overwhelmed and give up too soon. I need to start small and just keep going. This website gives me so much help, support & encouragement (not to mention some AMAZING recipe ideas!) Thank you!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

This whole thread just put a big smile on my face. You guys are so sweet:-)

• Angie – we were on the same time again! funny! The garlic toast sounds yummy! I should make some myself :) If he does like the pepperoni, you could probably get away with leaving out the liquid smoke. People wh commented on that recipe said that you could leave out the liquid smoke, so I assume it wouldn’t greatly change the taste. Wow! Cool about the snow cones! Orange flavored snow cones might taste nice, and maybe you could even run a bunch of fruits through your juicer, like grapes, berries, even mango, and blend the juice up with the ice in your ice shredder. That would be interesting! Yes, keeping alot of foods around when he gets hungry is a good idea. I get hungry alot too, and just run to the fridge for some cheesy crackers or freezer for raw ice cream. That reminds me, I have to try that spicy cheezits recipe on here!:) Also, if you think it’s safe, you could let him help “cook” raw food. For example, you could use machinery like blenders, and let him spread mixtures on dehydrator teflex sheets. Or even show him how to use an ice cream maker, etc.I’d be interested to see if he’s interested in helping out with the food!

angie- yep. i think if you start small as you say then one you’ll back on this and think “that wasn’t so hard.” and your son won’t remember a time he didn’t like to nibble on carrots and lettuce leaves. ;)

also, i just wanted to applaud you cuz you sound like a really kind and patient mom. your son is really lucky.

• Angie – pianissima is right. You are very kind and patient and your son is really lucky :)

rawclaire & pianissima, Thanks! I am becoming more kind & patient, I guess. The support & recipes I get from this site have been helping me a ton! When I have support, encouragement & good food, it is easier to help someone else. Thank you all! Hopefully he will think of himself as lucky someday – right now it’s sometimes just weird or not fun, but it will be worth it if he can avoid/overcome some of his family history of health problems & learn to enjoy it!

rawclaire, I am still WAITING for the raw chocolate bar recipe :)

• that’s a coincidence because I was just about to post it! :)

You rock! I made a drink this morning that my son really liked. Your idea was great, pianissima – if I just make things readily available there should just be a smooth transition. As he gets more raw, healthy choices, he will get used to it without really knowing that it is happening. Thanks!

• I have posted a bread recipe “better than cooked bread” that really tastes like cooked bread to me and mimics the texture. And it is super easy…. just sprouted wheat berries and dates… the end. You can add cinnamon and raisins or bananas to it for variety.

Also, even in transitioning him to raw, you can always try a non-raw vegan cheese (follow your heart makes good vegan cheese that melts). Even though it is not raw, it is better than dairy!

Also, you can use the cashew mayo as a base for a ranch dressing to put on a salad for him.

Renoir, thanks for the bread recipe, and yes, he likes almond cheese.

pianissima, the whole visual thing was something I had forgotten about. Today for lunch, I made a raw pizza. Just crust, pizza sauce, & poemomm’s real cream cheese. I thought he might like the flavors, but he has refused to taste any of my pizzas lately. He loves Spiderman, so I piped the cream cheese on in the shape of a spiderweb with a big spider on it. His reaction was awesome. He didn’t want to eat it because it was a raw pizza. But he was caught by how fun it looked, and he realized that it wasn’t just “my food” because it was decorated for him. There were a few globs of the cream cheese from before I had the idea to decorate it, so I said maybe those were bugs that the spider was going to eat. I had made poemomm’s pepperoni and even though he said he didn’t like it when he tasted it by itself, he said we should put it on to be the bugs, and he had me draw faces on them with the cream cheese. Then I wrote our names on the pizza, and when we ate it, he said it was the best pizza he has ever eaten and he wants me to put the recipe on here!

angie- ha ha. =) that’s awesome! i have to credit my own mother for reminding me about colors, shapes, and plating when i prepare raw food. it was also probably the best pizza because you guys had so much fun eating it…

renoir- that bread recipe sounds great! i’m going to try that.

Yeah, he liked it because it was fun!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey angie, the fact that you are being so caring and patient with him is going to make an impression on him no matter what. I have a seven year old daughter who is doing her best to keep up with my dietary changes. Sometimes it’s the texture that makes all the difference. It took me forever to figure out why she never really drank her smoothies – she wanted something to chew. Just using the food processor to make a chunky pudding instead of a smoothie in the Vitamix saved us one week. And I was shocked to see she would eat fairly exotic salads with no complaints. If you have time, she loves making Salad People (thank you Molly Katzen). Just people on a plate made out of whatever fruit or veggies they choose. She doesn’t go for the raw pizza or raw crackers, they’re just not the same to her, but she’ll eat just about anything dipped in guacamole. She also likes chopped up apples and bananas stirred up with almond butter and maybe raw honey.

Thanks, amysue! Most of the things you mentioned sound great to me, so even if my son doesn’t like them, I’ll be trying them out! Especially the fun idea for the salad people :)

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Angie – if you have a chance, check out http://rawdorable.blogspot.com/
    Shannonmarie has a young son and a non-raw husband and she’s turned just about any fun favorite cooked food into a raw treat – donuts, Girl Scout cookies, Trix, and she’s very entertaining. The photos alone are worth it. Have fun!