Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Do unground flax seeds need to be refridgerated?

TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I only grind up enough flaxseed for a couple of days at a time. I store the ground stuff in the fridge, but I have not been storing the unground seeds in the fridge. Should I also refridgerate the unground seeds?

Comments

• My general rule is that anything with oils go in the refrigerator/freezer. Some companies specify that opened packages should be refrigerated, but alot don’t and leave me wondering… so I figure it’s better safe than sorry!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Okay, I’ll put the bag of unground seeds into the fridge right now. Thanks, kathryn!:-)

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

i don’t. they’re usually fine. but it probably won’t hurt them.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

If your flax seeds are ground up then always put them in the fridge of freezer. They will be alright if they are not ground, but may not last as long.

V

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I already put the unground in the fridge, because it occured to me how hot my apartment got in the summer; however, I’m going to move the ground up seeds to the freezer now. Thanks guys!

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Umm, I recently ground up a big batch of flaxseeds rather than smaller batches at a time so that they can last longer when I need them without having to grind them up frequently. I always store them in the freezer but it never occured to me about how long they can last for. So does anyone know how long ground flaxseeds last in the freezer?? I’m wondering just in case.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Does anyone have any information about oxidization of ground flax in the freezer?