Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

soap n stuff

Hey everyone,
Ive been going through all the forums looking at links about face soap and regular soap, and a lot of you say you don’t use soap. I was just curious if you guys still experience BO, or other things like oily skin on your face. I’d love to hear what you all prefer.

Comments

• My mom was on a 100% raw vegan diet for 2 months, and she said that after the first 6 weeks, she no longer got funky armpits. And she didn’t use anything as an underarm deodorant. Just washed in the bath every night. I have also read of at least one other person who found they no longer needed deodorant on their raw foods diet.

I personally have only just started an all raw diet in earnest, so I still need deodorant.

There are a variety of more natural deodorants available in my local healthfood store, though. I tried one, it was an amber colored deodorant stick, looked the same and worked the same as a regular deodorant stick from the supermarket. Only this one said it had enzymes in it or something. I was allergic to is, so I have to use regular supermarket stick deodorant. I may try the ‘deodorant rock’ from healthfood store later.

I think a cousin said she uses baking soda for deodorant, though. Here is a page which describes one alternative to the supermarket preparation:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/deodorant-or-a…

Personally, I have replaced soap, shampoo and conditioner with apple cider vinegar and baking soda, and I bathe with a brush or a loofa instead of a cloth, so I get pretty clean. Here is a page which discusses using baking soda and acv as shampoo and conditioner:
    http://naturaldsm.wordpress.com/2006/12/20/25/

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

The more raw foods you consume the less you have to use soap and shampoo. I believe the reason is that you are releasing less toxins from the pores of your body. If you are still detoxing then use high quality soaps which contain olive oil, cacao oil, or coconut oil. Try washing your hair with some citrus fruit like oranges, grapefruit, lemons, or limes. Believe me if you leave that in for about a half hour your hair with look vibrant. Another great tool is a dry skin brush. Brush your whole body to loosen dead skin and then hop in the shower to it away.

V

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Soap/detergents strip the skin completely of not only dirt and “bad bacterias”, but essential and important skin oils and the “good” bacteria needed to keep down invading bacterias and yeast. They are good for cleaning wounds, tools, clothes, dishes, but not good for the skin. The skin becomes dangerously dry and then procedes to immediately over-produce oils, the skin becomes greasy with too much body oils that quickly become randid and polluted with bacterial toxins.

Once I started to practice skin-brushing and then rinsing with clear water or with/water with baking soda or even salt, I stopped stinking, whereas when I was using detergents and soap, I was getting yucky within hours after mild exertion.

People often claim that the skin behind their ears gets a horrible oder by the end of the day even though they’ve used shampoo that morning. Well, when they stopped using shampoos and soaps to clean their hair, that stink left. That’s because they stopped stripping the skin and leaving it open for mild infections and early skin cell death.

Oh, and on raw vegetarian diet, the majority of stinkiness goes away, along with morning dragon-breath, which is nice. Now my cat doesn’t flee in terror every morning.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I use yogurt on my face. It getnly exfoliates. Sometimes I just use ground up oat groats and water to wash my face. My skin looks great! I use an organic shampoo for my hair, and just wash my body with it too. If I don’t wear deoderant,I(I don;t when I am not at work) my pits get a little stinky, but it’s not horrible. I tend to use patchouli liquid rock deoderant when I do. It is all natural.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I use oil on my skin, work it in like soap, then rub it off with cotton. My skin has never been better!