Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Storing raw oat groats

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this site. I’m not going to lie…I’m pretty excited! So I am in love with Juliano’s oatmeal cookie recipe. I am fortunate enough to live in San Diego right next to a beautiful co-op. So I went to my co-op and bought “raw” oat groats. The next time I went to purchase them the “raw” was crossed out of the description and “unheated” was added. I asked one of the employees what that meant. She said they had been heated and that she could special order truly raw oat groats for me. She warned me that they come in 5 lb. bags and that they will almost immediately go rancid if I do not store them properly. I checked out some of the websites that also sale them. For a 1 lb. bag including shipping it will run me 18-22 dollars! Does anyone know how I could store 5 lbs of oat groats? I miss my oatmeal and my cookies! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• What if you bought steel-cut oats and soaked them overnight, without cooking them? That’s way you can have your oats and eat them too! Sorry for the pun. Or buy a five pound bag, split it five ways or in one-pound baggies and then store each of them in your freezer. That’s what I’ve done with my five pounds of hemp seeds and my 15lbs. of raw almonds.

• Thank you. I could freeze them. Good point. I just spoke with someone from my grocery store and they said that unless the oat groats have been sprouted they will not go rancid. This is the opposite of everything I have heard. I will play it safe and freeze them. Thanks again Skupe!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I thought they heated them for uuuh… insect control. I store mine in the fridge. I eat them fast enough that I don’t have to worry too much!

• Thanks deborhann! How long have you kept them in the fridge? What do you use them for?

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I’ve always been confused with these groats stuff. Steel cut oats from the bulk of a grocery store are not raw right??

• right. They have been heated several times. You have to get them before they are rolled out-as “oat groats.”

• I just found a great new site and they have raw oat groats: http://www.rawbakery.com/index.php
    They seem very knowledgeable.

Suz (Skupe)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

They steam the oats so that worms and other bugs don’t eat them, not to preserve them. I wouldn’t think they’d go rancid, I can’t see why because they’re completely dry. Dried things don’t tend to go off.

These people at Raw Living sell truly raw oats, http://www.rawliving.co.uk
    I know they’re here in the UK, but they are very friendly and always answer emails, I am sure they could help you find out for sure.
    I’d buy them anyway, 5lb wouldn’t last me that long… you can always make loads of dehydrated stuff like the cookies and then store them in a biscuit tin, or freeze, but really, I am almost certain they wouldn’t go off.

• Thank you Zoe for the information. I will check out the site!