Sprouting vs. Soaking

This may be a silly question, but I hope someone can help. I have been soaking various pulses and I was wondering if the length of the “tail” made any differnce in the nutrient quantity of the sprout? I am rather impatient and tend to eat lentils and chickpeas in particular before they really sprout. Am I missing out on any nutrients, or does soaking them enough to be edible good enough?
Thanks!

Comments

• Hi! I have a similar question! Thanks all for responding to my question about how to sprout a few days ago; it was very helpful! So, started sprouting my kaput and got busy, and now the tail is much much longer than suggested. Is this ok? Is it now “bad?” Or does it simply mean more nutrition? Thanks you guys. As I mentioned, I’m new to raw foodism and love it! Though I have to admit the sprouted grains make me think there is a worm in there somewhere. (Also, of course, related to something gross… but I could swear that those worms are chasing me… !) Thanks so much again… I need to put those worms to rest!

Freda

• Pulses are not suitable to eat before their tails appear, because the proteaz inhibitors are eliminated only by sprouting(or cooking), soaking is not enough for them!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I think about 1/4 to 1/2 inch is more nutrient dense.

Interesting, flybaby. I didn’t know that. What do you mean by pulses… what foods are in this category? nuts, grains, seeds, and/or legumes?

• pulses=legumes :)

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Oh, I didn’t know that either. Good thing I wait until they have tails anyway!