Grinding Cardamom

Hello again,
I was wondering if it is possible to grind whole cardomom pods. I have a vitamix as my only appliance. I’ve seen many recipes that require ‘ground’ cardamom and was hoping that I can grind my own. Or do they have to be bought? Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Samira

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

If you are willing to purchase a coffee grinder it would work the best. You really don’t need something very heavy duty or very costly. You can find one easily for $20. I believe that everything should be bought whole and ground to a powder your self.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Thanks humananimal,
    I believe the exact same thing and that’s why I’m asking if I can grind it myself. So are you saying that cardamom CAN be ground but more efficiently using a coffee grinder?

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

exactly :) placing it in a blender will grind it up but you will left with chunks or coarse particles. The coffee grinder will grind it up into a fine powder.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Thank you so much humananimanl!! Its good to know that I can grind it myself!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I smash the pods with a mortar and pestle, then open them to extract the seeds, then I grind them in the coffee grinder. If I’m using them for tea, then I just smash the pods without removing anything.