Are dates raw?

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

This may be a stupid question, but I really don’t know. When purchasing pitted dates, do you have to watch out for anything, or can you just buy them knowing that they are fresh fruits?

Comments

• yes, I heard from somewhere that dates that are shiny in the outside are not raw. Really rew dates are harder too.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Medjool date are not hard if you get nice fresh ones. I do beleive they are raw. I certainly hope so, I just love them!

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

I think some are steamed to keep them fresh or something…so therefore not raw..but I have gotten raw ones from a local date farm here in the desert(Palm Springs). They specifically said that they were not heated or processed in any way, so therefore “raw”.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

check the label, often glazing agents and vegetable oil are added.

• Luna blu,

If you bought them fresh, then they are definitely raw, I meant that about the dried ones.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I read that the fresh fruits are routinely pasteurized before drying, but I don’t know how, if by heat or chemical. Also, which kind are dried in ovens or on the tree. I wish I knew; I love using them as a sweetner and texturizer.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

If you buy your dates at certain places like Chinese shops, expect a sugar glaze too. Yuck. Here’s a cool link to a YouTube talk about dates by the DATE PEOPLE (as a well reputed website you can buy raw organic dates from).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQu7M3pS7w