Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Stress and Digestion

It seems like any time I’m under stress (i.e. trying to meet deadlines for school), my digestion goes all crazy. All I’ve eaten today is a quarter of an avocado and a serving of almonds. I feel like I have a brick in my stomach, and I’m pretty bloated. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about a link between stress and digestion. Or maybe it was what I ate? Are some people just unable to process fats (cause it seems like that sometimes…)?

Comments

• Stress always has physical symptoms. Each person reacts differently to stress, but all bodies respond to it in some way. Some people get headaches, muscle tension, high blood pressure, increased perspiration, and not at all uncommon – digestive issues. Whenever I am stressed out, anxious, or nervous I feel like my stomach is tied in knots. It is a really uncomfortable feeling and I often lose my appetite when I am anxious too.

Try doing some deep breathing or relaxation exercises, and make sure to still drink plenty of water.

• I know from my experience that my body yells at me when I am stressed out! Sometimes if we forget to do the things we need to do to keep stress levels low then our body reminds us by making us sick or giving us a bit of pain…..maybe do some deep breathing or find a gentle food combination that are your “stress food staples”

These things work for me….or I plan a quiet evening so I can mellow out and not think just to re-coop…I hope this helps!

• Oh, I def. think the two go together,but not nicely. I have suffered with years of digestion issues. Aside from my raw foods I take natural digetive aids when needed. They have helped me. You also could try drinking mint,ginger or chamomile teas or a digestive tea blend(if you are a tea drinker) Good luck.Oh also,watch how you chew your food,see how fast you are eating.

• oh ya…if you are a tea drinker then peppermint tea really helps to sooth whatever jumping your tummy is doing!

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

ive had stomach issues like 4 years now , and i did this on line study ran by a doctor and her assistants which asked me hundreds of questions over a several week period . and the best help i got from it was the deep breathing like mentioned by renior .

another thing was tensing your entire body up as tight as you could hold all your muscles for like 10 seconds , your face and everything . then releasing , doing this as much as one feels like per day to releive stress .

• I get stressed and digestivve problems sometimes, when Im stressed, Where i work its already very noisy I come home to hear my loud brother ,when my brother is home, he puts loud dance music in the other room its so loud , it makes me nervous when i eat. I really dont like noise while I eat ,I like to eat in a relaxed place, sometimes i dont know what to do. how can I be healthy if im surounded with all sorts of noise.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Stress can adversely effect digestion, ive witnessed that first hand with adrenal fatigue and how poor my digestion used to be.

Is there anyway he can turn it off for the brief period that you are eating, nothing worse than not feeling relaxed when eating.

Amla

• Yea he shut it off finaly, after my mother complained about it, tonight was quit, I had 10 clemintines 2 bananas, later I had cherry tomatoes, all raw!:) and very happy!

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

did you eat the avocado and nuts at the same time? they digest really poorly together. I didn't read everyone's comments, so not sure if someone already suggested looking into food combining... but that would probably be a good idea

• Sometimes stress makes me .. well, "have to go" as opposed to makes me not go. It can affect all people differently. I'm a huge wheatgrass advocate though, and wheatgrass juice can help regulate digestion and help with constipation. http://www.sweetwheat.com/sweet-wheat/considering-natural-home-remedies-for-constipation I have also heard that green tea can help if you are feeling constipated but I'm not a huge tea drinker myself.