Living without a dehydrator

For recipes with a dehydrator, is there a way to substitute by using the oven on the lowest setting? Or is there another viable dehydrator substitute?

Comments

• was going to ask the same thing I am assuming that the oven on the lowest setting or maybe if you have a warming drawer in your oven that may work, I remember when I was very young my mom used to make jerky in the oven- that’s dehydrated meat right? I will research this a bit more and get back to you… The only problem I would foresee with this method is having the oven on for such long lengths of time may pose a fire hazard if you were to leave the house…

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

This was just discussed HERE Hope this helps. Chris

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I don’t have a dehydrator either and plan on using the oven, but I was wondering what the heck you would use for a sheet??? Would regular metal cookie sheets absorb too much heat or is that not an issue? I guess if the oven is at the lowest temp to start with, there wouldn’t be that much heat to absorb anyway! ha ha, Just wondering though!

• My oven doesn’t go low enough, so if yours is like mine, you might need to swing the door wide. A temperature probe or indoor/outdoor thermometer is probably a good idea to be sure. When I made my own tempeh, I would just turn on the oven light with the door closed. It would reach 90-100 F.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Oh wow, I didn’t even know just the oven light could get it to that temp! Hmmmmm, guess I’ll have to go get myself a thermometer and play around. I live in an apartment and don’t trust that crappy oven anyway! ;)