Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How many raw fooders do you know?

Comments

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

I live near Washington DC (in the suburbs) and I know only one vegan person that also happens to be raw. People usually look at me as I were the most crazy person they've ever seen...

• JDJD

NONE!

• miss soufflemiss souffle Raw Newbie

i live in new zealand and i know NONE too

• I'm near Santa Barbara and just joined a raw meetup there so I met about 8 raw foodies. There will be a Raw Spirit Festival in June so then more raw foodies will come out of their closets and maybe I'll meet someone closer to me.

I'm finding it tough being normally social and raw. Like at the potluck events at my community. I get tempted to eat what they are eating.

• Four including myself. I live in Utah.

• I know my best friend and her friend who live in Oxford. I,m in Essex and are not able to call myself raw YET !! but will be on my way soon, just getting into the raw chocolate side of it initially and starting small. As I have a small family to prepare nourish and provide for, its a big leap and I dont want to push anyone away. As I have learnt that raw is a scary word to a lot of people.

• I woofed at a farm in Spain with 2 rawfoodist. Other than that..all of you people :)

• Seattle - Me (1), 4 raw paleo, 1 raw vegan, 4 raw vegan I don't know but have seen on this site - so 10

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

We're in L.A. and know lots of people (a dozen? more?) here and in San Diego who are like us - enjoy eating raw, but don't adhere to it 100% slavishly. Even one of the raw chefs we know is sometimes seen at cooked vegan restaurants around town. Actually a few of the people I know in what I'd call the "raw world" will eat things that I wouldn't - like they'll go out for ice cream or eat popcorn with loads of butter at the movies. Huh?!?

Point being, we're lucky to live here and lucky that we aren't always the strangest people in the room. On the other hand, no one in our families is even vegetarian, nor are the people we see most often, like our coworkers or most of our long-term friends.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hi Suasoria, Yep, I've got at least a couple of your creations in my favs. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. Unfortunately, I dont know any raw eaters around here. I have a feeling that will change soon ;) and yea getting to know a few of you gonerawers should count. Worried about my S. Cal friends with the fires last month. Hope you and yours came out ok. m

• none! in Anacortes.....angela33 are you in langley on whidbey island???

i just had a party and served all raw vegan food to my loving friends....they call it art but they think it is weird!

we have winter saunas usually every sunday evening if you ever want to comeup and "cook", Ellen

• I'm in Eugene OR and I am the only attempting raw foodist I know.

• I'm so excited, my daughter and I went to the first meeting of a new Raw Foods group that formed from meetup.org yesterday. We met at a restaurant in Berkeley, CA, and there is a Raw Foods Chef who does pick-up and deliveries who came to our meeting, and he's invited us over for dinner on Monday for our next meeting.

We are planning to find some community gardening space so that we can meet there, garden, harvest, and share our raw food experiences from start to finish.

If you wish to find more raw foodists in your area, do a search on meetup.org for your area, and see if anyone else is also interested, you might be surprised who you find near you.

Oh you're so lucky littlegems! My son attends Cal and I just love going out there! My pic is from the Botanical gardens. He had to work on Thanksgiving day so we picked him up the day after and the town was so quiet. We went to the Gratitude Cafe for lunch, my pick, hee hee. They are both sad eaters for sure but we all had a great time and they ended up being really happy with what they picked (see!).

Its amazing how interest is growing and now it's really not so weird. Just another choice. Thanks for the meetup idea, maybe there are some locals after all. We have several health food stores in town but I've been too chicken to ask.

Take care neighbor =)

• Gratefultobe - do you live in the East Bay Area too? If so, and wish to join our Raw Food Group, you are welcome to join. We are actually meeting again tomorrow night (although I might not make it, but we're going to try) at 6:30pm at Reggie's Raw Food To Go. They are in Emeryville, and run a Raw Food To Go restaurant from their home. This group is brand new, and the more the merrier, so if you live nearby and wish to join, come on over.

the meetup info is here: http://www.meetup.com/The-Oakland-Raw-Food-Meetup-Group/calendar/9307879/?a=nr1o_grp

Also, if you can't join the meetup, I'd love to meet you some other time. my email is: karen@littlegemsonline.com

:)

Thanks for the kindness littlegems! Lots of creative people on your web/group. I'm in the central valley, about an hour & a half away. So if I'm in the area on the right day..I'm sure it would be fun. I'll check the link and shoot you an email too. I still need to check to see if there is a group closer to my home & I'll be sure you get an invite (just in case). Very cool that you and your daughter go together! Here's me- mary.k.miller@sbcglobal.net

really any gone rawers feel free to say hi

• Sabriya,

Hi Sabriya. I've settled down in Columbia and have finally found the time to try and locate others into raw here in the area. Hope you see this post!

If so, send me an email at your convenience: ashtangi108@gmail.com

Namaste.

• Wow, I guess I'm lucky!

I'm in Chicago, and we have three stricly raw vegan restaurants, one veg restaurant that serves raw vegan dishes, a cafe that serves raw vegan dishes in addition to cooked, and Charlie Trotter's, a restaurant I have not been to because they do not put the prices on the menu. That scares me.

Anyway, we have a raw meetup in my part of suburban Chicago with over 300 members; it's crazy how big the community is out here! My mom is the one that got me into it, which is helpful; having family on your side makes it easier!

My friend is a raw coach and a certified raw chef, I've met Sacred Steve (weirdo...no offense if you're on here Steve but you have to admit, that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory getup qualifies you as a weirdo, lovingkindness and all lol!), I know this one guy who's been raw for like 15 years and eats the same thing every day, there's like a core group of about 20 people in my area who we regularly meet with for potlucks and stuff, and there are new 'converts' all the time.

It's pretty cool to be surrounded by such support! But lemme tell ya, the biggest demons you'll ever face in raw are within yourself...the Lazy Demon who doesn't want to get up and make raw food for the week, the Social Butterfly Demon who wants to connect with friends and family over good food like its always done, the This is Too Hard Demon, the I Miss Pizza Demon...you get the idea lol!

Having a community definitely helps, I count my blessings on the daily!~

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

hi guys. i live in pittsburgh and i am the only raw foodist i know. it's quite sad. when i tell people about it, they look at me like i'm an alien!!!!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I have lots of vegan friends who eat some raw food and are trying to eat more. I know 3 people in town who consider themselves raw foodists. Sadly, they're busy folks - we don't get together much.

• i live in gilroy, california- a dumb little suburb close to san jose and santa cruz and such. i know 1 vegetarian and the only other person who is eating vegan and raw besides myself is my mom because i converted her! i would love to know more raw foodies.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

Im in cleveland. I know one lady who is a "raw food enthusiast". I went to a couple of her uncooking classes a long time ago when i was getting started but Im much further into this now than she is. I overheard her talking about picking up dinner at chipotle one time (ug!) The only other person I know who is into raw is my friend in Iowa but hes my little convert. We meet up in chicago on occasion and hit the raw restaurants there.

• I met one once but......he smokes cigarettes and cheats often so I don't know.....

But I know myself! I've lived in Bronxville, NY (near Yonkers) looking for some Raw

Foodist friends for three years now. Does anyone live in NYC or near Yonkers/Bronxville?

If so, I'd love to get together just to say hi sometime!

• I know 3 vegetarians. I've been a vegan for years and I'm thinking about going raw. So no raw foodists.

I think here in England it's seen as a very american thing to do, being raw.

• I live/work in Columbia, SC and I spend most of my weekends visiting my boyfriend in Charleston, SC. I currently don't know any raw foodist. I would love to meet some like minded people in the SC area though!

• I know at least five vegetarians but I can't think of any other vegans, let alone raw foodists, in the disgustingly cheese and brat-filled state of Wisconsin (yuck!). Of course I am not raw myself...just collecting information before I dive into it :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

In the flesh, NONE. Guess they all live in Portland OR and not on the wet coast.

• Well I'm in the garbage...I mean GARDEN state NJ, and I know NO RAW FOODIST...know plenty of vegetarians and half dozen vegans. I have communicated with a few rawbies from NJ recently, so I'm hopeful we will meet up sometime in the near future. I would love to meet with like minded people and not have people dismiss me as if I'm a wackadooo because they don't understand or have never heard of such a lifestyle. Everyone gets so uptight whenever anyone strays from the mainstream. It's not like I'm asking them to join me at a remote location and drink grape juice LOL sheeesh RELAX already

• Sabriya, I am from Columbia, but moved to NC two years ago. Youre right, that is a really hard place to be raw. Fortunatly you have 14 Carrots and

Earth Fare. Have treid the Meet Up website? That's how I found my support group up here. Raleigh is not much better than Columbia as far as

being acomodating to vegans much less Raw foodist. I have one friend who is a vegetarian and I am trying to pull her onto the Raw Food 'wagon'.

I have a potluck that I go to, and there is a raw food coach (Alissa Cohen certified) in my area, so that helps. You said that there is a place to buy Raw desserts? Where is that? My parents still live in Columbia, and we go home often. I would love to go by this place!

Good Luck finding supprt! I know that 14 Carrots does a class soemtimes on Raw preparation, that would be a great place to drag a non raw freind and

get them hooked!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Depends on what you call "know". I've *met* about 7 or 8 last year in a meetup group that got started, and then closed down after two meetings last year. Now there is another one about an hour and a half away from me, and I've been to that one once, and met maybe 14 or so. My bf has picked it up in the past month- so I know him! lol.

I hear ya, Glamazon-- I have a friend who is a trained classical chef. She is actually *angry* at me for the way I eat. Thing is, I am fairly flexible, 'cause I hate making anyone uncomfortable, or putting anyone out of the way-- so I will eat just about anything when socializing -- as long as it has nothing cow (I am allergic). But just knowing I eat this way for some reason pushes her buttons. Go figure.