Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Food Combining?

angie207angie207 Raw Master

I have read a lot of things on this site talking about “proper food combining.” When I read Victoria Boutenko’s book “Raw Family,” she said that they allowed themselves any types and combinations of food as long as they were all raw. I tried the food combining thing (at least what I know of it) a few years ago before going raw – fruit by itself, not combining meat & starch, etc. – and it just messed up my blood sugar and (I felt) pushed me faster toward diabetes. So, what are the “rules” of food combining, and is there any scientific basis, or where does it come from? I just don’t know where to find out about it.

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Anyone know where I can find out more?

• I have heard about food combining in the raw foods community in a slightly different context than before I got into raw foods. I think there are probably a few different things that people are concerned with when discussing food combinations.

When I hear “food combining,” I think of recognizing the effect that sugars have on our body’s insulin production, and the subsequently more rapid biological absorption of whatever else we are eating along with the sugar that occurs. Some people, based on that, will make sure to eat fats with either protein or low-glycemic index carbohydrates, which have a less acute effect on insulin production. In general, people avoid combining fats with simple, high GI carbs. Conversely, a lot of athletes will combine protein with a simple, high GI carb after exercise to both replenish the body’s depleted glycogen stores and to promote muscle recovery—the simple carb will cause an insulin spike and aid protein absorption into your muscle tissue.

This kind of food combining will lead many to eat meals that are generally:

protein & complex carb
    protein & fat (+complex carb optional)
    protein & simple carb (post workout)

Now, there is a whole different conception of food combining that I know nothing about but have only seen mention of in passing on this website, dealing will acidity/alkalinity of foods and using that as a basis for putting meals together…let me see if I can find one of those threads…

Ok, I couldn’t find the thread I was thinking of, but I searched “combining” in the forums and came up with a bunch of good info…Let us know if you find anything interesting!

http://goneraw.com/posts?q=combining&commit=Search

• I’m crazy strict with the way I eat. There is one particular rule I’ve come to live by, and that is never mix fruit with veggies and always eat the fruit first. Fruits break-down and begin to digest very quickly. They not only help your metabolism when eaten properly, but also help your digestion work the way it should. If you eat veggies first then your fruit it will ferment within your small intestines before the previously eaten food even has a chance to break down…not so good for the digestive tract! (can also cause heart burn and be the reason for gas!!!

(Apples are an exception to the rule.)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Thanks for the responses! chakra essence – that is how I have felt about friut & veggies, but I’ve never heard anyone else say it. The thought of green smoothies makes my stomach feel bad – the combination of greens and mango, strawberries, etc.

Benny – I have been told by diabetes doctors and dieticians to be sure to always eat some type of fat or protein along with any high glycemic index carbs to slow the rise in blood sugar levels. If the high glycemic index carbs are eaten alone (fruit, etc.), it spikes blood sugar.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or information about this?

• I have heard this too Angie, and I think this makes biological sense. Then again, the purveyors of every theory apparently make bio sense. So complicated! I try to save fats for the afternoon with veggies and eat fruits alone (but in the evening, I will usually have a fuit-nut salad for dessert). I believe you should really do what your body tells you, and this may change as you change. I would love some more resources on this though…

• You know…I have always heard the so-called