Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Local frozen or imported raw?

What do you think is the better choice? To freeze locally grown food so you can eat it year round or to buy raw food that’s been imported.

For example, let’s say that I picked 3 bushels of peaches from a nearby farm. I eat 1 bushel raw and freeze the other 2. Do you think this is better or worse than just buying imported peaches from Chile?

Not sure either way, I just want to see other opinions on the issue.

Comments

• I’ve thought about this myself, and I concluded that if you have a relationship with the farmer who grew your peaches, then it’s better to freeze the locally grown peaches and use them in the winter than it is to buy the imported. The farmer benefits from the sale, you get a better price, the peaches taste better, buying locally is better for the environment—the list goes on and on!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I like the idea of freezing the leftovers. Because you can always find something else that’s fresh and raw. So buy your local fruits during the summer, freeze the leftovers for fall and winter. During fall and winter other produce will be popping up that you can eat raw that is still local!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

It’s easier to find out what your own local farmer is putting on his peaches and also easier to know if there are problems with sick pickers(sorry to put it that way, but it’s a fact of life.)

Freezing fruits won’t harm the nutrients and it’s great to support your local farmer, so I say freeze away! If you have a large freezer, that is.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Maybe if it were flash frozen… (instead of blanched then frozen).

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

my opinion – local, organic frozen/raw is better than imported raw. when you think about the costs associated with clearing land to make it farmable, transportation costs and use of fuel that doesn’t need to be used, and the unknown farming practices of non-local farmers – it’s pretty wasteful. in general, I choose to support small, local, organic farms – even against larger American ones b/c they tend to promote sustainable practices, I can often get to know them on a first name basis, can visit the farm, and get fresher produce b/c it’s often picked only a day or hours before sold.