Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Eggs

Just curious- does anyone know a good substitute for eggs when trying to convert traditional recipes to RAW? I’ve heard applesauce, which I suppose I could make myself to make sure it’s raw, but any other ideas? and what about proportions, like how much of something to equal 1 egg in a recipe?

Comments

• I have chia seeds. Just soak them in a little water (about a cup to 2 TBS seeds) and when it soaks up, it becomes a gel-like egg white. I have some recipes in a chia seed book that say you can substitute this for egg in recipes. Marcy

• Here is a raw breakfast scramble that is like tofu scramble which can substitute for scrambled eggs …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gvrEj2H36w

• totally depends on the recipe. if you want to thicken a raw baked good type of food, chia seeds or flax seeds mixed with water or nut milk is a good option. for scrambled eggs, yes, try the suggestion from redhouse.

• locustgirllocustgirl Raw Newbie

if it’s a baked good, you could try tahini. i used to use it in pancakes and it worked nicely and added some flavor.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

avocado and salt tastes like eggs to me. On the more gourmet side of things, there are some good recipes for scrambled eggs and egg salad. I’m sure there are some on here. The Matt Ambsden recipe for egg mayo salad in his Rawvolution book is very authentic. I like Ani Phyo’s Spanish Ommelette one too.

• thanks everyone! i think all of these would work with different things. I was trying to work out a baked dessert thingie to convert. i think maybe the chia seeds might work best for what I was looking for, but i’ve never seen them in my natural food stores where i live. I guess I’ll have to ask. But every blue moon or so I want an egg salad sandwich so these other substitutes will be tasty for that.

• Soaked flax seeds get a gooey texture like egg whites for substitute in baking, but maybe for something more savory than sweet.