Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kitchen Staples

kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I had a friend ask me this the other day and I thought I’d open it up to all of you for help making a good, comprehensive list: If you were just starting to go raw, what would be the important staples (food wise) for your kitchen?

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Sprouting seeds, raw nuts of any kind, flax seeds and/or chia seeds, black sesame seeds,parsley and cilantro, celery, tomatoes, collard and kale greens, avocados, bananas, oranges, grapefruit, lemons or limes, carrots and/or beets,lettuce of any kind, cold pressed oils if you wish, unpasteurized sweet white miso paste, quality teas, and superfoods. The superfoods that I consume every day include: Cacao powder, maca, spirulina, dulse, fo-ti, and pau d’arco tea. Sometimes when I have some money to spare I will add in some goji berries, mesquite meal, carob and some other type of super tea. I have based my list on what I have in my room every week. I hope this helps!

Lots of love, V

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

This is really helpful! Here’s a list I started, but haven’t finished.

cold pressed olive oil, lemons, celtic sea salt, banana, greens, coconut, zuchinni (for hummus and as noodles), variety of raw nuts (esp almonds for almond milk, walnuts, pine nuts, brazil), raw apple cider vinegar, raw nori (for quick wraps), flax seeds and then the weekly fruits and vegies.

• I think I would add some raw “transitional” foods to the list to make it easier when they get a craving. Stuff like raw bars, raw cereals, and directions to the nearest juice bar.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

fanatstic!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

kandace- where do you buy your raw nori wraps?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Winona – http://www.goldminenaturalfood.com has the best ones I’ve ever tried.

Wow! you guys are doing great! I went to my kitchen to see what else I use all the time. I will add to the list: coconut oil, cold-pressed sesame oil (helps give a cooked flavor which I found helpful when transitioning),young Thai coconuts (don’t know if that’s what you meant, Kandace, but also very satisfying to help with transition), avocados, fresh garlic, spices such as ginger, cayenne, cinnamon, cumin, vanilla, curry powder, basil, oregano, parsley, black pepper, dill, whatever. Also I like kelp noodles & dulse flakes. Good topic! I am going to write down your lists, too, so I can help other people with ideas when they ask. Oh, yeah: raw nut butters (you can make almond milk with almond butter & water which is much more simple & can keep people from getting so overwhelmed when starting out).

Edit: Two more things I just thought of (though not necessities): probiotic powder to make real soft cheeses & yogurts, and raw olives to add flavor to raw tacos, lasagna, pastas, etc. – I like the Morroccan olives the best :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Kandace – thanks for the idea of a nori wrap; I just made one :) YUM!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I would suggest buying more lemons and limes than she ever imagined she might need, I’ve only now learned to buy enough to get me through the week.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

i couldnt live without, avos, citrus, parsley, kelp noodles, cocoa,tomatoes,pine nuts ,sesame seeds,macadamia nuts and hot peppers or everymake and model….garlic, olive oil, cilantro and spinach,oh and dates…. there are also usually bannanas and celery too.

just added maca and chia to my list of things to try….expensive so we shall see if its worth it!

• frozen bananas, agave nectar, avocados, green superfood powder, a stash of dehydrated goodies (chips/crackers/cookies) olive oil, celtic sea salt, sunflower seeds (for economical and tasty pates) cacao powder (smoothies/desserts) coconut oil/butter is always good to have, flax seeds (for making crackers and adding bulk to smoothies) I found that having an assortment of cut up fruit helped too, spices (garlic, taco seasoning, onion powder, Italian seasoning, you know the basics) and nut butter for quick nut milks too