Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How to Alkalize?

angie207angie207 Raw Master

I am freaked out about my body’s pH right now, because I checked my urine pH a week or so ago & it was around 5.5 when it should have been around 6.5. I assumed this is because my blood sugar has not been normal for several months. I have been eating at least one bunch of kale every day since then & I drink Kangen water (pH 9.5), and this morning it was only 5.0! I made a half-gallon of green juice (one bunch each of kale, romaine lettuce & parsley, one head of celery, three big cucumbers, one lemon, & one small tomato for flavor). I also thought I could eat sea vegetables more often & I will buy a magnesium supplement today – magnesium is alkalizing & also diabetics are usually deficient. Any other ideas?

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Simply, eat and drink a lot of fruits and vegetables. I would even go further and go on a juice fast. A long one. It would be good for your diabetes as well. Also, you should drink a and eat a lot of lemons and limes as though they are acidic, they actually alkalize the body dramatically. half a gallon sounds like an awful lot of juice to down at one time. I usually only make a quart at a time and drink it fresh two quarts would fill me up, I would never be able to drink that much at one time.

Also, I would be very careful about vitamins and minerals. Because, no vitamin pill or supplement, whatever you want to call it, can replace the power of a proper diet and juicing. Furthermore, you would be shocked to know that most supplements are toxic because they get things like protein from horse hair, calcium from oyster shells (why not just eat oyster shells). A lot of vitamins are synthetic too. Made with chemicals. Usually in fact, when you call, they will not tell you the exact source or how its made and usually unless you talk to the right guy, they do not know. A lot of B vitamins are made from beef livers, sewage sludge or slime found from the bottom of the ocean and or dead fish bones etc, etc. Need I say more?? Also, some supplements are toxic because they synthetically make it. Like, Cyanacabolomin (a type of B12) is said to be a toxic form of B12 that our bodies actually cannot absorb and this pill causes MUCH more harm than good. That is why they say to use the ones that dissolve under your tongue but I still would be skeptical of that.

Also, try to limit or stay away from foods that make your body more acidic. Animal foods and cooked foods are on the top of the list but grains can also be this way. Less so if its sprouted.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Shgadwa – I made the juice this morning, & I am just drinking a cup or two at a time throughout the day :) Yeah, that makes sense about the supplements. I have been concerned about not having enough money for good food for the next month, so now I’m thinking I should just take the money I would have spent on magnesium & buy greens instead. I want to do a juice fast, but money limits me right now – I already have a lot of nuts & seeds stored, so I am just sprouting like crazy, more alfalfa sprouts because they seem better for me than nuts as far as acidity goes. I already don’t use grains, because I don’t tolerate them well. I am planning to grow a ton of kale & cucumbers this summer so I can juice fast for an extended period of time, but it would be nice to be able to start now. I also have kelp (in capsules), powdered dulse, & raw nori sheets. Thanks for the info. about sprouting. I was thinking I should ask if nuts & seeds are less acidic when sprouted!

• Shgadwa, where did you hear that about B vits? Are you speaking of ones that are specifically food sourced? Most are synthetically made that I know of, expcet brands like New Chapter which are food based/grown. Just curious. I was in the “industry” for a long time and that’s the first I ever heard of that! Thanks.

I heard it from Dr. Schulze from www.herbdoc.com Her has been in it for years and has lots of degrees. owned a clinic for 20 years, been in and out of prison for helping other heal themselves and such. I do think I should look it up on my own too. The thing is though that usually when you call the company, they say its synthetically made but synthetically made could be anything. I think it could be sewage sludge as Dr. Schulze says is the main source of B12 and they just take one part of it or process it in a way. I dunno. The question is, HOW are they synthetically made if they are. Also, a lot of people do not take the name brand vitamins, they use the cheap ones like walmart and such. Who knows whats in those??

• A lot of syntetically made vitamins are produced using genetically modified bacteria, it is not better either!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I fought like heck to get alkaline and never could get much above6 or maybe 6.2 1st thing in the AM. I did a green smoothie with only 1/2 cup frozen berries as the only fruit and 1/2 lb of greens, and a huge salad every day. I also ate too many nuts and dried fruit! I am on a juice feast now and within a couple of days of the green juices, I was minimum6.8 and usually 7. So I am now a huge fan of juicing! When I am done, I am really going to try and continue with at least 1 qt per day. Time is the issue for me. I am in the process of trying to rearrange my hours at work so I am not there from 7:30 – 7 with a long lunch. The stress aggravates (and probably caused!) the health issues I am dealing with now. I have always read that many facets of your life contribute to your acid/ alk. balance.

Angie,

I was just doing a little bit of research on body ph level (because I want to know how to get tested myself). In case you did not know, saliva is generally more acidic than blood and is only curate if taken in the morning before you eat anything. Normal saliva reading is 6.4-6.8. Urine can vary from 4.5-9.0 and it is said to indicate how the body is working to maintain proper ph of the blood. It says that optimal urine ph is 5.8-6.8. So, I think that you really are not that far off really.

If you do know, what do I need to buy to test my ph myself??

Did a little more studying and I am really going to make a commitment to not be eating so much cooked food as I was looking on these lists and foods such as lentils and oatmeal is acid forming and I have ate them as cooked meals that should have been raw meals.

deborahann – I soooo want to go on a juice feast! I can’t afford it right now, but in the summer I am planning to grow lots of kale & cucumbers to juice, & then I should be able to afford it. How long is your juice feast? I drank a half-gallon of green juice today (finished it before dinner) and it was so good that I know I will love it when I can do a real juice feast (the book I read about it said on to one & a half gallons per day – that sounds AWESOME!!!!

shgadwa – pH from one level to the next is a huge difference – 5.0 is 10 times as acidic as 6.0. It does vary according to the time of day, and the lower ones are not supposed to be in the morning. I got a pH testing kit from a local place, but there should be other places that sell something like it. It has pH test strips, a color chart to match the color & find your pH, and a chart that shows optimum urine pH leves at different times of the day. I read the 6.5 in the morning in another book, too, so that’s why it worries me that mine is so low. I guess I’ll check tomorrow & see how it is after all the green juice today.

Oh, yeah. shgadwa, there is only one place I know of to get raw oats (oat groats are not raw). It is http://www.sunorganic.com and you have to order the hulled oats for sprouting & not the oat groats. Good luck transitioning to more raw! :)

Yeah and expensive. Thank you for the website. I’ll check into it!

• Hi

Not too sure about the pH thing…though I notice for sure that when I test the day after eating cooked/processed/too many nuts, I am more acidic. I’m still transitioning so I have a few days like this lol :)

I would also like to do a juice fast…I am sure that would help with getting more alkaline and also would help with the diabetes…but I’m not sure about controlling blood sugar on a juice fast???

Any other type 1s tried a juice fast?

Dr. Cousens has had a few type 1s successful on his 21-day+ reversing diabetes program, and the first week of the program is a seven-day green juice fast. For the extended juice feast he talks about spacing your juices regularly all day to stabilize blood sugar. It sounds good – I tried a couple of different juice fasts when I first went raw (none had much if any greens), and it really wacked out my blood sugar. I would also work on the emotional issues that are making you want to binge & not be willing to let go of what you don’t need.

• I did a seven day juice fast at Dr. Cousens Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center a couple years ago and we were checking our urine pH in the morning every day. He said it would be more on the acid side at the beginning of the fast due to detox I guess. He said most people would become more alkaline towards the end of the fast. My pH was still 5.0 on the last day of the fast. Everybody’s body is different and I agree with who ever stated there are other factors that affect the pH. I think even your mental state… so if you’re really stressed you’re going to be more acid. I would think though if you continue with what you’re doing or go on a juice feast you should soon become more alkaline. I’m still struggling with trying to become more alkaline too. Green smoothies have really helped me with it, but if I binge on nuts or nutbutters I don’t do so well.

Thank you! I was wondering tonight if I could be acidic because of detox – I quit eating meat only a month and a half ago, & the greens I have added since then (I wasn’t getting much before that) have to be detoxing me a lot, as evidenced by my sudden return to stinkiness!!! :D I had just never checked my pH on a regular basis before, so it made me think my body will be shutting down soon if I don’t do something to change this. Now I remember that I did check my urine pH once before the diet transition, and it wasn’t nearly as acidic, though still not perfect. I think I need to start walking again as I haven’t beendoing it much the last several weeks, & that seems to always help me relax.

Almonds are slightly alkalizing, so I guess I’ll stick with almond butter & milk over other nuts for now, I guess – funny, because that is the only nut butter I have even thought sounds good.

• Anything you can do to reduce stress should be helpful. Getting enough sleep is important to. I never get enough sleep and think it makes me less able to cope with stress.

Almonds are the most alkaline of all nuts I believe, or maybe it should be said the least acidifying.

Adding a little lemon or lime juice to your water can help too.