Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Can these make you gain weight?

SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I was wondering if flaxseeds, ground or unground, can make you gain weight? What about coconut oil? I’ve read articles about how coconut oil aids with weight loss because the body doesn’t absorb the healthy saturated fats it contains. I was wondering this because it is known that we should limit our fat intake from nuts, seeds, etc. So would flaxseeds or coconut oil count for this?

Also, if the answer is no for the coconut oil, what about whole coconuts, mature or young?

Comments

• I think flaxseeds no way make you gain weight!!! I don’t know about the coconut oil, but I also heared that they aid the weight loss.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Thanks flybaby, But I think I should of been much more clear about my question. We know, as raw foodists, that we should limit our fat intake. Assuming that coconut oil does not contribute to weight gain (still not sure about whole coconut), does this caution of limitation still include coconut oil and flaxseeds?

• For the flaxseeds I’m sure that no limitation would be needed, but for the coconut oil I think it is the same as the other fats( some kind of limitation should be applied), as it contains saturated fats.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

When I used to train years ago, to get nice and lean, i would take a teaspoon of flax oil about 4 times a day and was losing body fat left right and center!! Same when I was taking a tablespoon of coconut oil with each main meal! No worries!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I hear that a lot about fat, & there are a lot of authors who say it. But I don’t KNOW that WE should limit our fat intake. Keep reading; I am not being rude. :) What I do know is that we each need different things. I lost 40 pounds in three months because I was eating what my body wanted, which at the time included a lot of salmon & all kinds of oils – in larger quantities than most raw foodies would say is “healthy”. Victoria Boutenko said that when her family first went raw, she poured a half-cup of oil on her salads (it eventually went down), and I think she was eating salads at every meal & also had walnuts in them. She & her husband lost a ton of weight, and they all were cured of their health problems. The one thing I have read about coconut oil & weight is that farmers (I think in the 1940s) fed their pigs coconut oil to fatten them up, but it made the pigs lean & active. They then switched to corn & soy to put weight on the pigs. Sorry I don’t remember what book that came from. I also hear flax oil is beneficial in all kinds of ways, & I don’t think it would be recommended so highly by so many people if it put on excess weight. Coconuts & young coconuts have more calories than a lot of other things raw-food wise, but I also have experienced & observed that people who have emotional issues about not being able to let go, needing protection (especially common when there has been trauma or abuse), or holding onto things that are no longer useful for them (abusive relationships, bad job situations, whatever) have problems losing weight, or keeping off the weight they have already lost, even if all they eat is lettuce. Okay, maybe a little exaggeration, but you get it ;) Stress & fear also seem to be big factors. So I don’t have any authority, but I hope this helps. I am also not trying to discount what you said; I just think we all need to do what is best for us individually, & at our own pace. I have seen a lot of people cause themselves greater stress – me, too:) – by trying too hard to do what someone else says they’re (I’m) supposed to do. Life is joyful & easy. Don’t get too worried, & you’ll figure it out for yourself what is best for you, which is probably not the same as what’s best for me:)

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Thank you angie you rock!!

I definately know what you mean by stress and anxiety causing weight issues. Now, the main stress I’m getting these days is directly from this site about raw fats!!!! You are definately right about what you say. I will eat what I feel like and won’t worry about it. Sorry for writing “we” instead of “some raw foodists”. I feel bad for that and I wasn’t really thinking when I wrote it. But what I was trying to get at was for those people who ARE careful about how much fats they consume daily (i.e. no more than 10%, etc.—which I personally won’t bother worrying about), would they also limit these healthful sources? Even if they don’t contribute to wieght gain or other health issues?

• It all depends on calories consumed imo. I don’t eat much coconut, but flax is a staple for me and since beginning my transition to raw, I have lost 5lbs, no exercise, and that is 5 lbs that I didn’t think would come off easily as I am kinda tiny already. I’m actually upping my fat content for the sake of not losing any more body fat.

Angie, you do rock! I agree totally with you!!!

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

More Angie rocks!

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Flax seeds actually help you loose weight. They create a gel like chia seeds which makes you feel fuller longer. Coconut oil does the same. Even though it is very high in saturated fat it digests differently in the body. The difference lies in the chains which make up the fat. When consumed it uses the energy instead of storing like the saturated fat found in animal products.

I have heard coconut oil raises metabolism. I wonder if that is true.

Another thing about the coconut oil is that it slows the stomach from emptying into the small intestine too quickly. So you feel full for longer. But that isn’t exclusive to coconut oil, all fats slow stomach emptying.

• WOW! I agree with Angie:) I’m definitely taking that advice to heart!