Oatmeal

I am striving to avoid gluten, and my naturopath gave me a list of grains to avoid, which included oatmeal. But I’ve since read that it doesn’t contain gluten, rather it ‘can’ be contaminated during processing. So if that is the case, then oat groats should be ok?

Another question, I am enjoying the raw dessert recipes I’ve tried so far, but I’d like to cut back on the nuts. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with substituting grains for some of the nuts. ie. pie crust made with dates and ground up nuts, maybe add some ground up oats?

Comments

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Before I was raw, i was gf, like yourself. I know Bob’s Red Mill has uncontaminated steel cut oats, but I don’t think they are raw. if you bought raw oat groats, there should be no chance of cross contamination since they are not being milled. For myself, i stay off all grains. They give me joint pain,even raw, and I’m too lazy to pick out all the soaking debris.

• Thank you for your answer! :)

• Careful oats do contain gluten, i they are not specifically grown! Here’s a link about that: http://glutenfreeindy.com/contamination/oats.htm