Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Beauty/hygiene products

Does anyone here make their own? I’d be interested in this if anyone has any ‘recipes’ or links to post.

Thanks!

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

skinnoz, you may have read my other posts on this subject, but I use extra-virgin coconut oil for everything. It’s a great face cleanser, just slather it all over your face and remove with a damp wash coth, makes a great shaving cream, body oil, and I have a little jar of it with my favorite essential oils for deodorant. I do have to exfoliate by dry skin brushing beforehand. I have made my own products in the past and used every product out there, but now I don’t bother because the coconut oil works better for me than anything else.

• i use a skin brush on the rest of my body, but where can you find one for your face? i think my face would like it, i have lots of bumpy acne on my forehead that i think would die down with exfoliation (also if i ever stop detoxing, gross.)

• I would never have thought to use coconut oil as a cleanser, I’ll have to try that. Does it feel greasy when you wash it off?

mandelicious – I have a rough textured mitt (shaped like a glove, actually) that I use on my face to exfoliate. Even a washcloth would work. There are numerous lymph nodes on your neck (esp the back) if you wanted to sweep towards them while cleaning.

• I know this is crazy coming from a man and all, but I was going through a major detox while on my juice feast. I used 100% red clay and it pulled all the toxins and dried the rashy looking bump right off my face. Afterwards I would use shea butter or coconut oil for a moisturizer.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I also like the clay/shea butter combo. I only use the clay once a week though. Here are some ideas: 1T spirulina powder?, 2T kaolin clay?, 1T olive oil?, 3T Pure water? Apply to a clean face and leave on for 20 minutes. You can also replace the water with chamomile tea for acne prone skin. The spirulina adds nutrients directly to your skin, while the clay cleanses it. I’d only do this once a week though.

There are a lot of recipes out there. If you’re look Check out Care2.com. They have a lot of natural recipes for hair and skin. Also try books such as “Natural Recipes for Perfect Skin”, “Naturally Healthy Hair”, or “Beautiful Hands and Nails Naturally”. As for cosmetics, I’d just recomend you look for the most natural stuff you can find. Larenim is good, but you have to order it online. Gabriel Color you’ll probably be able to find in stores like Whole Foods. Burts Bees seems good, but they’re owned by Clorox.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

mandelicious – they sell face cleansing brushes at my health food store, it’s soft with natural bristles.

skinnoz – when you wash your face with the oil you won’t feel squeaky clean. If you wipe it off with a damp cloth you’ll be left with just enough moisture on your face so it’s cleansing and moisturizing at once. It even removes mascara. It actually feels really therapeutic, like a mini massage and the combination of brush and oil makes your skin looks rosy and glowing.

• I did try cleaning my face with the coconut oil, and was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t feel greasy!

Raw Chocoholic (love the name) – I did check out that site, thanks! They had a recipe for shampoo and conditioner that I am looking forward to trying. I think I could follow the same recipe to make a body wash as well.

• In the town i live in there is a woman, who has a website that can make you anything you want with alot of natural wild harvested herbs, most of which she harvests herself. her website is pagosaherbs.com You should definatly check her out. What i usually do is tell her what is wrong or what i want the product to do, and if she doesn’t already have something made that i’m looking for she will just whip it up!!! She makes me alot of special teas for whatever ails me! but i know she also has natural bugspray that i use for my babies, and lotions, and lots of good stuff.

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

dr.bronners is a good product available almost everywhere.

you can also check out naturalnews.com for product reviews and recommendations.