Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

grind nuts without a food processor??

Hi everyone.. I have a problem. I am trying to make a raw apple pie and it calls to grind 2 cups of almonds in a food processor. Well, I tried to do this and blew the safety mechanism on my Vitamix! Is there a way to grind nuts without a food processor? And speaking of food processors.. does anyone have any recommendations on one? thanks!

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

You can use a blender, or you can chop them finely with a sharp knife.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i use a coffee grinder for nuts and seeds, works like a charm if you don’t have too many to grind.

• oh shoot! i recently got rid of my coffee grinder! darn it. thanks for the tips.. 123, i tried w/my vitamix to blend them and it shorted out! (temporarily) ~ probably because I was grinding 2 cups worth?

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Start choppin hon! :) Tedious, but it will work!

• oh gosh, I would go nuts chopping 2 cups of nuts to a fine meal to make a crust! with a toddler underfoot I need ways to make my life easier not harder ;) I’ll have to revise the pie idea somehow.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

You’ll go nuts chopping nuts eh?! :)

Do you make almond milk? You can always reserve the alsmond meal aside after you squeeze out the milk.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

check out a thrift store, i see processors and coffee grinders all the time for a few bucks.

how bout covering with a towel and then getting a sledge hammer :) !!

• I don’t have any trouble with my vita-mix.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Depends on how fine you want it. I know you can make nut butters with the champion juicer using the blank plate. To keep the butter thin and to keep the machine from overheating, put a little oil down the shoot along with the nuts. I have used olive because its the only oil I have but I am sure walnut, almond or macadamian would work better.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Then use the juicer without any oil, it should work.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

had same problem and always read people using coffee grinders , so i was shopping for a coffee grinder and realized its just a tiny blender . and what makes it effective is the smaller compartment keeps the nuts being redirected back into blade again and again . so i found a plastic glass / cup at home that fits about %75 down into my blender jar , then i took a towel / papertoweling and wrapped it over the mouth of the cup in order to prevent nut powder from escaping around the edges when grinding . wedge the cup , toweled end first , into blender after adding nuts then what you have is a tiny blender in which the nuts are constantly redirected baCK into blades making for a fine powder . now my almond milk is nice and smooth because of the finely powdered nuts .

you could also use one of the plunge type manual food choppers .

and concerning processors : from many sources and ecspecially one expert source by the name ‘shivananda’ whose sold small appliances for a long time ive gathered that kitchen aid makes a excellent processor , i think theres one at 100 level . then another at 130ish .

then from alissa cohen of rawfoodtalk its recomended the hamilton beach , the i think ” 14 cup big mouth ” style food processor . it runs around 60 .

ive looked at both brands and to me the hamiltonbeach is sturdily made but all plastic , wheres as the kitchen aid is real sturdy with a metal / cast type base material . ive also seen people like the cuisinart alot . from looking at them i would get the kitchen aid if i ever bought a food processor .

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

My Oster Fusion blender has a food chop function and two direction blades for chopping. It also has a glass container. This is making me re-think wanting a Vitamix!

• Luna blu: LOL, I didn’t realize I typed the “going nuts chopping nuts” thing. ;p

stylistchick: good idea. I’m going to try that. hopefully i’ll get lucky.

rawclaire: do you have a dry blade? or just use the one you make smoothies with? this is the 2nd time I’ve tripped the safety mechanism ( the 1st time it was with coconut meat)

shgadwa: I don’t have a juicer yet :(

michigan roman: I am totally going to try your McGuyver blender thing! great idea! thank you. and thank you sooo much for the advice on the food processors.

123: I even have a commercial vita-mix and it happened. I love my vita-mix though. It mights just be the user having the problem here ;p