Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The Dandelions are growing...

Hello, I was wondering if anybody picks their own dandelion greens to use in things like green smoothies, salads, etc. They are starting to grow here in Greater Vancouver, everywhere, as they are pretty invasive. I usually buy mine from an Organic Grocer but now that they are growing everywhere, I might as well pick them myself! However, I kind of feel wierd doing this, thinking of dirty shoes that has stepped on them, bugs, dirt, who knows what else. I just need some reassurance here. So does anyone else do this or is planning to? If so, what is the best way to wash them?

Also, I’m not sure if the yellow flower part is edible. I think it is. I have yet to buy a book on wild edibles (Sergei Boutenko comes to mind). But until then, can the yellow flowers be added to green smoothies?? What kind of recipes can I use them in? What is the best way to wash the yellow petals (I find alot of tiny bugs in them)

Thank you!

Comments

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

be careful of eating dandlions from lawns that are treated with herbicides / fertilizers , and some people go around and spray herbicide directly on each dandlion .

the flowers taste great the first few days they bloom , i pick them and eat them plain when working in yard . i imagine theyd go good chopped up and sprinkled in a salad .

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

YES. All parts of the dandelion are edible. If prepared right (I do not know how to use raw) the yellow flowers taste kind of sweet and good. They are used in soups, stir fries, as well as a sweetener syrup which is made with SUGAR (do not make this with sugar) as well as making wine. You know, they say that a little wine is actually good for you unlike most alcohol beverages. It even says in the bible, in Timothy I believe, “Drink no longer water only but use a little wine for thy stomach sake to cure thine often infirmities.”

As for the parts that are edible, all are as I said. You can go to www.prodigalgardens.info. This is a great site for foraging for wild edibles and herbs. Though she does post that sugar dandelion recipe and some others which are cooked and have non no ingredients, the site has a lot of info about foraging and also making dandelion coffee. (made from the roots). It also has some health recipes.

Now, the leaves are as you all know, very bitter. However, I THINK there is some way to make this less bitter. Though if you eat more of it, you will get used to it. I would pick the biggest ones in the summer and add at least a handful to my carrot juice. I end up with a tall glass of DARK green carrot juice that tastes TERRIBLE BUT, its good for me and I want results.

I like to pick them and cut them into small pieces as to not make them so bitter. Maybe others know how to make it less bitter? I think the flowers would be great on salads but I have never tried it. The roots are good as a vegetable but harvesting takes time, I would just use them for coffee. I think the yellow flowers might go in smoothies.

About dirt and all, just wash them real good. Also, I think dandelions look great. I would get rid of my grass and plant a yard of them if I had the time.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Wow, thats awesome guys! When I add dandelion greens to my smoothies, I’ve never experienced a bitter taste. And I don’t add anything special to the smoothies, just basics like apples, banana…anyway, I’ll check out the website shgadwa to see if I find recipes and such.

Awe man, the recipes are using all cooked dandelion. I wish I can make the the flower syrup raw without the sugar. It would have been a great sweetener substitute.

I thought they had salads but it has been a few months since I seen that website. I guess they do not have any raw recipes. At any rate, it still is a helpful website. And it does explain what to do with certain edibles you find.

It is a helpful website, thanks shgadwa! Do you or anyone else know if dandelion greens can be eaten if they are still young (shorter and smaller leaves than the ones at grocery stores)?

Yes! Those are the best ones, found in the early spring as they do not taste near as bitter. However, if we are wanting HIGH amounts of iron, calcium, vitamin A and such, go for the mature ones. Also, for those who do not know, Dandelions are used Medicinally to cleanse the liver. They are very bitter and anything bitter, cleanses the Liver. So, this year, GO FOR THE BITTERS! You can also make a tincture out of the dandelion leaves and roots. I did this last fall but found that it was too week because I did not have enough dandelions in it. I plan to make it stronger soon.

You’re welcome! I am glad I could be of some help.

Are you kidding? You are VERY helpful! How do make a tincture out of it? (actually…what is a tincture?)

Ok… A Ticture, by definition, is an herbal preparation that is usually made and preserved with a cheap grain alcohol. Though you might be saying “oh no! is he serious?”, Grain Alcohol and water is said to be the best liquid to use when making a tincture. It has been used for at least a couple hundred years, maybe more. What the alcohol does is it preserves the herbs and also extracts the medicinal healing properties out of the herbs. Furthermore, Alcohol gets into the blood stream faster than any other liquid (that I know of). So, it means that this herbal preparation is in your blood in record time.

Now, as to how to make it, there are videos online. I recommend that you go to www.video.google.com and type in “dr. schulze” he is VERY knowledgeable and has a lot of videos online about health.

http://www.curezone.com/schulze/tinctures.asp

There is a link where he explains how to make a tincture. it is really simple and should not be made complex. Simply, put herbs in the blender, cover herbs with 80 proof vodka (cheap vodka…60% water, 40% grain alcohol). Do not use too much of it as then it will be too weak (as I did in the dandelion tincture…you learn). Blend it up real good, and put it in a jar and shake it every day for two weeks to three months (depending on how strong you want it.)

Also, check out this link here:

http://healingtools.tripod.com/DS_pages.html

There is where Dr. Schulze gives recipes for most of his herbal formulas that he sells (you can make them cheaper…use only organic herbs or wildly harvested). He has a list of ailments and what to do.

Also, Alcohol is not always used. Some herbs need more alcohol to extract the medicinal properties while with most, you get away with less. A 80 proof vodka ought to work (divide the proof number in have and that is the percentage alcohol). Then some herbs (such as Lobelia work best with a 50/50 mixture of vodka and raw organic apple cider vinegar (such as braggs).

As for dandelions, I read online that it should be an even combination of greens and roots. But do not put too much vodka in it as that is what I did and I also only let it sit for two weeks. The stronger the better! Otherwise, it might not work.

But yeah, dandelions are very good for the liver and if you make a strong tincture, you should take two dropper fulls (about 60 drops) 4-6 times a day depending on the results you want to achieve. It is usually taken in two oz. of distilled water.

Also, just a note, for those who still think that a very small amount of alcohol will hurt them (it is said to be the same amount as a banana and not affect someone’s BAC) or have religious issues with it, pour boiling water over it and it the alcohol will evaporate (it evaporates at 212 degrees).

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

hey samilicious! I’m going to be picking dandelions this year since I’ve been buying them for me and the guinea pigs. I just bought a field guide to edible plants and I discovered many weeds that have long been my enemies that I can now eat. Sweet revenge! How exciting for you that things are greening up, I can’t wait.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I always forage mine. They’re EVERYWHERE now!! Dandelion is SOOOO good for you and if you eat it now that the leaves are young and tender, they really aren’t so bitter. I’m having whole salads of them. As they become more bitter I add them to smoothies. Another note of caution: stay away from areas where many dogs take their walks. Pesticides and urine – two things to avoid!!