Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

NAMA SHOYU ?? Substitute

Ok here is my (?) me and the wife and kid are still doing so well with this living foods thing 100% strong since Thanksgiving 07. So fast forward a couple of months and all of sudden I don’t feel so hot. I read the dead food list like most on here did and I was floored NAMA SHOYU isn’t so good after all, and it has wheat in it. So from that day on I took the dead foods and we started wheaning off of them week by week. We started with NAMA SHOYU and it wasn’t really that bad, this week its garlic. So now I am inspired to think of some type of substitute just for that salty kind of taste and I am not talking about TAMARI or Salt water, because salt was the second thing we kicked, but what do you guys think about taking sundried olives and blending them in a little water to make a substitute for nama shoyu. I would love to have that peanut dipping sauce again. I am at work in cubicle world so I can’t try it now, but just wanted to bounce this idea off some other RAW brains.

Comments

• That olive idea a of yours is great! I’m really against nama shoyu also. I’m sure you could also blend in some wakame with the olives. And why not add a little vinegar? :)

• Wakame what taste does that have you have intrigued me. No vinegar though we took that out of our diet also. Don’t want to add any acids to our body.

• Your asking what wakame tastes like? It’s a sea vegetable, like nori, except a MUCH milder flavor. I have some olives and wakame at home, I’ll try to make a nama shoyu by blending them with water and maybe a little olive oil (although the olives alrready have that!!) I’ll let you know how it comes out. :)

• please do I think we may be on to something here. And they say Rawclaire only has sweet tooth.. LOL

• I don’t only have a sweet tooth, I love salty things like crackers too. I’m going to post some recipes.

• if you marinate mushrooms (you typically would use some salt) the liquid is very flavorful and looks like nama shoyu. if you use miso (you might not, it shows up on some dead foods lists) you could use that as well.

olives are usually cured in salt, if you are cutting salt, they may not be the best option.

• Mandelicious even the sun dried olives are they cured in salt.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I found the same as mandelicious, that liquid left after marinating mushrooms is just like nama shoyu. I just use olive oil, salt and a touch of lemon and maybe a little garlic. I stopped eating nama shoyu after a few months raw, after finding out it wasn’t really raw, and I have to say that everything tastes better without it. I just use a little salt to replace. I think if you cut it out it makes you more creative with flavours, dumping a shed load of nama shoyu in a meal is a lazy way to get flavour…and it is never as good as the flavours of fresh ingredients coming through.

• Hey what’s shaking ZOE you must have been doing readings all day haven’t seen you on here much. Well glad you chimed in because I didn’t realize what mandelicious was saying about the soak water. I have to try that. Just one thing I don’t eat salt, just cut out garlic as of this morning what do you think with just lemons and olive oil.

• if the olives taste salty, salt has been added to them. i love them though.

i also still use some nama shoyu, but i think i have have a wheat allergy, so i have to switch back to bragg’s or tamari.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Yeah my workload has increased loads coz Purely Raw + The Lighthouse are really taking off, so haven’t had much time to sit and chew the (raw) fat with you guys. There are so many cool new people on here I love dipping in and out and seeing the new faces, and recipes!

I think lemons and olive oil would work, but maybe put in some powdered seaweed too if that is alright for you. It is usually found dried, just grind it up in the coffee grinder, coz I think the mushrooms need a little something salty to make their juice come out, but maybe the lemon juice would get the liquid out too, hmmm interesting! I’ve never tried it without anything salty in there, so you never know it could work even better.

• So really olives even if they are sun dried and still with the pit. That seems possible but odd. I hate when this happen I guess I can pitch the olives now or look for another source I wonder if real raw food.com has the ones without salt. JEEZE

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’m with mandelicious and the marinated mushrooms, but I think that dehydrating them will give a stronger flavor. Blend with a little water, lemon and seaweed as Zoe recommends and you might have it!

• yes 123 you just put a whole new spin on it. I am going to try this for sure this weekend. So let me get it str8 we are saying to dehydrate the mushroom and then blend them with some water and other ingredients and we should have a RAW living Nama Shoyu…. <I hate that freaking name NAMA SHOYU who says that LOL.. I just gagged when I found out it had wheat in it. Guess that was why I was feeling sickly when I would eat it DUHHH

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

naturalzing.com has Peruvian sundried olives w/o the salt.

I guess chickpea miso is out of the question as a substitute, since it also contains quite a bit of salt. I’ve used it as a substitute for nama shoyu. Also, according to Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine, when soy is heated (or maybe it was heated and/or fermented, sorry I don’t have the book w/me right now), MSG is produced as a by product.

Veggies with a lot of natural sodium include tomatoes and celery. I use them in my green smoothies to cut down on the amount of salt I use.

Are you salt sensitive (does your blood pressure go up after consuming a lot of salt)? I’ve been told Himalayan Crystal Salt and Celtic Salt, both of which are rich in minerals, do not raise blood pressure, at least for most people. Processed and heated salt is only left with essentially two minerals, sodium and chloride. When it hit our bodies, it’s treated as a foreign substance. Perhaps that’s why it raises blood pressure in sensitive people. I’m not an expert, so feel free to chime in, everyone!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Just adding to 123’s great suggestion, we find that dehydrating the mushrooms before you marinade them works really well, because when they’re dry they just soak up the marinade, they’re just like a sponge, like in this recipe: http://goneraw.com/recipes/407-Grilled-Meat-for…

You could use celery salt instead of salt. Have you tried celery salt yet? You might like it. You may have to research how it’s made thogh, I don’t use it so I have never looked into how its processed.

I just thought that instead of using just the marinade liquid, after the mushrooms have marinaded you could blend the mushrooms and the marinade together with some water you would probably have something more similar to the nama shoyu.

You can get really raw olives from www.sunfoodnutrition.com and www.detoxyourworld.com I bought some and it was strange. The first few I had were amazing, I loved them and raved about them, but then suddenly they tasted awful and we had half a pack sitting in our cupboard unused for months till we threw them out. They’re v.expensive and taste nothing like normal olives AT ALL!!

Zoe alluded to this earlier, but kelp powder is wonderful. It has a salty taste, but it’s low in sodium because it’s so richly mineralized.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’ve been thinking about this. You might want to strain the mushroom mix after blending. A nut milk bag would be ideal, as you could squeeze the liquid out. Save the pulp for a pattie of some kind or anything else that you can come up with.

• Zoe that sucks that raw olives don’t taste anything like there salted counter part, I still have to try them out. I think I will get them from RealRawfood.com.

Celery Salt I am thinking about making my own but for some reason I remember someone telling me something negative about celery so I haven’t been using it lately. I know that sounds crazy but it is what it is.

achin70 – Kelp powder does it have a fishy taste. I hate dulse for that reason, but use it sometime in my salads.

123 good idea.

Yes, kelp powder does have seaweed-like taste. I use it for raw entrees with names like Faux Salmon and Crab Delight, if that gives you an idea.

One thing Tree of Life recommends for dulse is soaking for two minutes, then massaging lightly, and rinsing right away to preserve the mineral content. This releases a lot of the sea salt, and much of the fishy taste.

I don’t have any wakame right now, and when I did I almost always soaked (2 hours is recommended by Tree of Life, but I just soaked for about 40 min. or so).

It’s cool you’re open to trying different sea veggies, since they’re such a valuable source of iodine for the raw foodist!

• I have to try that today. I was never a seafood person and I simply hated tuna fish and that is what Dulse reminds me of.

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Do you mean you won’t even use raw sea salt?

Salt is healthy for you. The salt that is bad for you is the cooked version full of chemicals. Salt doesn’t raise your blood pressure or whatever in it’s raw state, i think. Maybe it could, if you are severely weakened at the beginning, but you are young. Also, people who are on a 100% raw diet could get healed to the point where eating raw salt will not affect them badly.

I think people’s fears about the unhealthiness of food only applies to the food in a conventional cooked non vegan version.

• Ardesmond- what’s wrong with garlic?