Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Being raw with missing organs

Hey. Looooong story short I have no large intestine. It was removed about 10 years ago at age 11. The dietitians I have all seen have all told me to eat highly processed foods (like applesauce instead of a fresh apple, cooked mushy carrots instead of fresh ones, etc) and junk foods that will go right through me. (TMI, so sorry!) That seems crazy to me so I have always just eaten whatever I want to. I can say that if I do not chew a vegetable or fruit very thoroughly it um…. the piece of whatever stays practically whole. Ewwww i know. So, does anyone have any experience with this? Or any suggestions/insight?

Comments

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

It sounds like smoothies are the way to go. There are some great recipes on this site. The black and green smoothie is my personal favourite. I will bet that you will notice a dramatic difference when your body is able to absorb the nutrients from the food. Good luck.

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Oops, hit the save button twice. Sorry. :)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Umm, you can hit the DELETE post.

I agree, smoothies or juices sounds like a good idea.

But then, you can’t ‘live’ on smoothies… what CAN you eat?

• I would think green juices and fruit juices would be great too, since you don’t have to worry about the fiber.

Maybe marinated foods or “predigested foods” that were prepared by probiotics… (I don’t know really, but I’ve seen recipes on the Get Fresh raw magazine).

Or eat pineapple and papaya with your food. Pineapple has a protein enzyme… but it doesn’t taste good when you mix it with nuts.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

i agree on smoothies , and a powerful blender (vitamix/blendtec) would really blend them up into an easily digestable state .

also almond milk , calcium/protein , with carob powder and dry dates for sweetener .

grind sesame seeds in blender then add water bananas dry dates for another heavy fuel .

and you know how a food processor can chip stuff up into little flakes like in some style coleslaws , well that might be a real good appliance to have to make salads and stuff with so you can quickly wolf them down without having to chew alot .

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

You can add some spirulina powder to your juices for more protein. Also, you can maybe add hemp seeds to your smoothies to make a shake and get protein and good fats from the hemp, but I don’t know how you do with nuts/seeds – could you eat them if they’re blended up? Yeah, what else CAN you eat?

• That is the thing. I can’t really live on smoothies. Ok….technically I may be able to, but I would be pretty miserable. Then again, I am thinking that juices and smoothie will make it as easy as possible to get my nutrients. :D I also eat a lot of things that I’m not supposed to. I decided that when I was around 12 I would ignore the dietitians. I can’t have fresh fruit?? um….well….actually I think I will enjoy my fresh fruit. So…..as far as “what can you eat?” I “can” eat highly processed foods and vegetables that have been cooked to death. I have never followed this and haven’t had any adverse reactions so far. With the exception of popcorn. So I do eat things that have fiber, they just probably aren’t helping my any though. So I agree that smoothies sound like a good option. With nuts and seeds I seem ok. There is always a risk for one to get stuck in the internal scar tissue. That has never happened though. You all have wonderful ideas! Better than any dietitian I have seen yet!

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

of course, dietitians are the worst.

definetly fresh smoothies, fresh juices, fresh soups, dips, fresh ice pops, fresh ice cream. stuff broken down already. you could also take a digestive enzyme to help breakdown foods. a good company. leading company is enzymedica. good stuff. also listen to your mother “chew your food”. enjoy the taste. most of the digestion takes place in the mouth. get that saliva working thru your food. lol. there is alot that can be done with the categories mentioned. check out my profile for example. the oat groat recipe. you can food process that. and that would be awesome. i do that when i dont feel like chewing those oat groats 100x.

TCC , did you ever check out www.juicefeasting.com . its an interesting site where alot of people are living on juices for months and months . you might get some good nutritional facts on raw there . plus theres a forum there also .

hey i just thought about sprouts = very nutricious and easily digestable .

• Wow…thank you both for the additional help! I do take an enzyme to help breakdown foods. It’s a capsule though, I would prefer a chewable one. My mom has some papaya ones that you can chew, I may just swipe them. :) I know this sounds really weird, but I don’t like chewing my food a lot. I get an almost gag-like reflex to swallow my food after a couple of chews. I also really hate how food gets after being chewed enough. I’ll get over it though. Thank you!

also , heres a great site on sprouting in case youve never seen it =

www.sproutpeople.com ....

I didn’t have any luck with Enzymedica enzymes. At least, when I stopped using them, I had problems… but who knows, maybe it was just ‘my luck’... and something else caused me problems.

Dietitians the worst? There are dietitians that specialize in vegan diets!

• JDJD

There are awesome soups on this site. I blend them every week.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Run far far away from most dieticians. The advice they’ve given to my dad was pretty bad. Enzymes will certainly help a lot. I’d also research which vitamins are absorbed by the portion of the intestine that you’re missing and try to eat more foods high in those vitamins.

I know I’ve posted this link a couple other times, but I strongly believe in probiotic foods. I make a drink of berries and coconut kefir which I have quite often. Here’s the link on how to make it: http://bodyecology.com/mcoconutkefir.php That site also tells you how to make fermented vegetables. I haven’t tried those yet but they’d be an excellent way to aid in the digestion of raw veggies.

Another thing to remember is that in the long run raw food will be easier on your digestive system because you won’t have a coating of mucous which the body uses to protect itself from toxins. Thus you will have as optimal a digestive system as possible.

• I’ve been detoxing for the last year from major chemical, heavy metal and mould poisoning, and because of that my digestion was virtually nil. When I went raw a couple of months ago, I lived on green smoothies (sweet and savory), soups and puddings. The recipes everyone contributes to this site are awesome! They were my salvation. It’s amazing how much nutrition you can fit into those green smoothies! I am now able to eat “solid foods” (all raw of course :) Anyway, just wanted to tell you that I’m in agreement with everyone that suggested green smoothies, and soups, but, for variety try some of the puddings. My favourite is the Creamy Berry Pudding posted by Crisyn. It rocks!!