Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

if a grain sprouts is it raw?

Hi everyone. I have been buying what my local store called “non-raw” oatgroats. They said that they were slightly heated. Another customer said they were raw because he had sprouted them. I wanted to see for myself so I soaked them and now they are sprouting! Does this mean that the enzymes are still in tact and that they could be considered raw?

Comments

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

yes , they sprouted = living = raw .

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I would say yes. It makes sense to me that if it is able to sprout it is still alive, therfore raw. I will be shocked if I am wrong. It wouldn’t make sense to me.

• Thanks you guys!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

foods can be heated above 117F (or whatever we are agreeing on) and still have intack enzymes because it takes a little while for the denaturing to occur. that’s why steamed foods aren’t as enzyme deplete as fried. maybe that’s why the grains are still living…?

• Congratulations you have living sprouted oats! They are DEFINITELY raw. I didn’t managed to sprout even the ones labelled raw sprouting oats:(