Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Savory Breakfast HELP!!

Confession time…. I was addicted to fried potaotes, mashed potates…Okay POTAOES!!! ANyway I love beiong raw and am on my 8th day. I want savory foods..I get plenty of sweet from fruits. I had to make my children eggs and potatoes this morning, my husband had a fried egg sandwhich and I had bananas because I couldnt find a savory breakfast meal to make…without proper planning. ALthough I would love a proper planning recipe too. P.s I am crabby this morning because my family is refusing to eat healthy with me…why are people so resistive to living as Nature intended!

PPS..Good news is they are opening a Raw reeturant in my town on May 1st! YAHOO!!

Comments

• Hello Ambikalee, I’m thinking Breakfast Burrito. You can make a corn tortilla (fresh corn and flax, dehydrate). Then shred potatoes and add onion, ground flax, salt and pepper then dehydrate, you may have some hashbrown-like things. You could then use them to fill a breakfast burrito. Fill them up with other things like guacamole, raw sour cream and pico. Let me know how it turns out!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Try this for a nice savoury hearty breakfast I got it off YouTube, it is one of Ani Phyo’s recipes but the video is disappeared off youtube now. I’ll post it properly on the recipes section tomorrow.

Spanish Ommelette

1 cup dry almonds (can soak then air dry) 1/2 cup sunflower seeds – dry 1 teasp tumeric 1 teasp salt put all these in food processor blend until fine meal. Then add 1/2 cup water.

then combine by hand with 1/4 cup coriander/cilantro 1/2 cup diced tomato or more, I like more 2 tbsp or more green onion

Then put some spinach leaves in a bowl, And make the pate into a ball and sit it on top. Is like Spanish ommelette! very yummy!!

Pleased to hear they’re opening a raw restraunt near you, I’m going to Sierraville at the start of June, is it close by?

• I think so are you going to a hot springs? I havent been but if its the same area its near Grass Valley!

Thanks OM and ZOe these are great suggestions I really need to make some corn chips and tortillas…...yum…

Om…will the shredded potatoes taste good…all my expierments with raw potaotes have come out icky…I havent treid shredding them first…Maybe I should shred them and soak them in water and a little salt to leach out the startch? Great ideas though…thanks

Zoe if it is the same lets plan to have a “date” at the Raw returant! I would love to meet you in person. ALso Chico has the most amazing parks…we could go for a walk their..its gorgeous!

Thanks again!

I made it through the day with fried potatoes staring me in the face and I didnt even eat one! WHOOO!

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Hi Ambikalle. A great smash potato/cauliflower way is to steam for 1 minut the cauliflower and then put it in a food processor.YUMMMM !!! or if you don’t process too much looks like rice.I love it !!! You could even steam for 30 seconds just to open up the cauliflower and that doesn’t kill the enzimes.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Yes I’m going to the hot springs. I’m going to this: http://www.rebirthingbreathworkspiritualpurific… I’d love to meet up too, but my itineray it jam packed, we’ll be spending every day doing gorgeous spiritual purification and development work and other tree hugging hippy stuff ;)...I’m not going to be driving either, so I don’t think I’ll be able to get away. Maybe you could join us? If not, I love your part of the country, so I know I’ll be visiting again soon.

• Ambikalee, I haven’t tried potatoes either. Marinated squash might work too. The soaking idea sounds great. Let me know how it turns out!

• I know this is not completely raw. I do not have a dehydrator yet so I eat asprouted yeast free bagel w/ coconut oil,sprouts,kimchi or fermented cabbage and avacado. I don’t think I will give it up even if I do get a dehydrator, I love it and eat it everyday for over a year now.

• Zoe.. that looks amazing..I am soo excited for you! I dont have the funds right now so..I cant go but I would love to!

Is steaming Raw..lightly steamed? that would solve my potatoe problem!

• sarahfsarahf Raw Newbie

I have created two easy breakfasts.  The second has more preparation, but the ingredients keep so you can get several days of breakfast out of it.  

They aren't necessarily savory, but they are not too sweet.

1 Soak steel cut oats in water overnight in a small stainless steel bowl.  In the morning set the bowl on a warmer (I use one of those that keeps your coffee warm all day.)  I add salt, homemade almond or cashew milk, and a little maple syrup.  I mix in walnuts,  tart dried cherries or currents and some cinammon. Eat when it is warmed up.   Find your perfect sweet/salt balance.

2.  Rye Crackers with sour cream and curry raisin relish

Rye Crackers:  Grind rye flakes in blender, add salt and caraway to taste, and enough water to make a thick stew-like consistency.   Soak in water for an hour or so.  Squish/ spread out onto teflex sheets and dehydrate overnight on low setting.

"Sour Cream" which is cashews soaked in lime juice then blended smooth

Raisin Relish , which is from Matthew Kenny's Everyday Raw Express:  raisins soaked with ginger, agave, mustard seeds, cayenne, salt and apple cider vinegar

Now that I write that recipe, I am wondering how to make a  raw vegan "lox"  to top the sour cream and rye crackers for variety and a more savory meal.

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

Sarahf -- Rolled oats and rye flakes are not raw. They are heated in the rolling process. Maple syrup, of course, is also not raw. But they do sound good. Try subbing sprouted buckwheat if you want it to be truly raw.