Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

tick control

pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hey there,

so i was wondering what you raw vegans with lawns do about ticks. i live in the northeast and my father is going to have his pesticide people come soon.

any natural solutions???

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

The ticks are out, pianissima, you’re right! My daughter’s already had a deer tick and our dog is covered in dog ticks (we’re in Massachusetts). I’ve never heard of organic lawn treatments for ticks other than chickens, we try to cover with clothes in the woods and use natural repellents. We don’t treat our dog because although she gets many ticks they haven’t caused her any health problems and I’m not at all comfortable with the tick treatments out there. For any other lawn problems here’s a link for Garden’s Alive http://www.gardensalive.com/default.asp

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

amysue please consider a naturopathic tick treatment for your dog, dogs suffer horribly from ticks and the toll that those parasites take ontheir bodys while not visible to you will shorten your pups life…i dig not wanting to use frontline or some such stuff but there are all kinds of teetree oil and essencial oil treatments out there on holistic pet websites that can offer your pet a happier healthier life….lymes desease is so debilitating to humans and pets it would be tragic if any of your beloved family became exposed due to your sweet dogs infestation…

Thanks for your concern omshanti! She’s 12 and has tested positive for lyme for years but is the picture of health, probably partly due to her raw diet, and partly from being a hardy Alaskan mutt. I’ll check again but in the past nothing – natural or not has kept them off her, she runs in the woods a lot. I love your cat’s gorgeous green eyes!

hey amysue, awesome that your pup eats raw…the cat with the incredible eyes is baily, she is our first pet on raw and very special as she is a orange FEMALE cat which we understnad is rare..i say she is an alien from some other planet and she has those eyes to transmit signals to her ship! hahaha she is a good old gal but not thriveing on traditional albeit high qualtiy cat food, so we went right out and bought her raw frozen kitty food…she snarles like a tiger now while eating…has the spaniels all freaked out! even our two huskies give her a wide birth when she eats! hahaha she is 19 and active as ever…saw her yesterday stalking a chicken throught the sliding glass door..crazy feline! Ticks here in socal are not bad so i am lucky and get away with a lavender oil and citronella mix on the outdoor beasties..i never tried natural products in maryland when i lived there but my poor old dobedane contraced lymes and suffered horrible bouts of fatique and muscle wasteing..she was much improved after our move west but i never forgave myself for not protecting her better…guess thats where my overactive sensativity to it comes from…glad you took no offence! ;) cheers!

Go baily! No offense at all, I actually bought a natural tick spray today which seems to be for humans and pets. It has lovely herbs in it too so we’ll see!

• omshanti – where do you get your cats raw food from? I tried some frozen stuff from WF and my cats wouldn’t touch it. My poor kitten is a year old and so overweight and we give him the right portions but doesn’t seem to help. He’s the sweetest thing ever but I am worried about his health. I’m a bit scared to just go buy raw meat for him – I understand that’s their natural diet but how do I know the meat in stores is safe and fresh enough??

trying raw, we use natures variety over primal raw because of availability in our area, both seem really good and are in small individual portions instead of a huge 5 pound frozen log!! (the cheapest way to go but the most obnoxious, as cutting that thing is rediculous!) So the natures variety and primal both have websites with store locators built in thats how i found my store that carrys the cat and dog food…they just happen to be next to the trader joes i go to sometimes…seems like its mostly small specialty stores and or breeders of purebred critters that are distibutors. good luck with it we are very pleased so far!

amysue, this is our outdoor kitty big deisel .he “hides” in the bird cage and hunts the birds at my feeders from there….i still love the perplexed look on his face when he misses as he is sure he is invisable! hahaha

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hm… so, nothing? this is kind of the impression i got reading stuff on the net. and ORGANIC website recommended frontline as the ONLY non-organic substance they would ever recommend. i don’t have a dog though… i sure am not going to the vet for a prescription for myself. =)

it’s not even that we go on the lawn that much… it’s that “they” say it’s good to do cuz we have such infestations from the growing deer populus.

sorry pianissima we digresed…how do you feel about chickens or guinea fowl? go to eglu.com and get yourself a pair of these great pets…and they give you wonderful eggs ofr your nonraw family, o rheck you could jsut give them away at work( the eggs, not chickens) my granny used 7 dust on her yard in tennesee its supposed to be safe to eat on veggies and to sprinckle on pets but its chemical..oh and there is diamataceous earth that you could try as a barrier around your deck or paths…its pricey i use it to worm my chickens!

• Hi everyone, im new here, found this site on a tick control search. I happen to know a few things on tick control and Lyme disease. I am an EMT, and I own a fertilization company called Applied Organics Fertilization Company heres my tick page link check out the pics how small they are http://www.safelawnnow.net/Ticks_Are_Bad.php , we do organic lawn care in NH and ME, but i am a licensed pesticide applicator in Massachusetts and work the north shore out of our West Newbury location. I practice IPM and only treat chemically when and where needed. I also do tick and mosquito control as well. So having said that. I treated a vets field the other day they get about 6 dogs a week testing pos for Lyme disease, 1 died this week from kidney failure. It can affect any organ in humans and animals. I was told by the vet that the vaccine for dogs is about 70-80% effective. Permethrin in Frontline is definatly not an organic product from crysanthumums(sp?) it is a synthetic permethrin product that gets absorbed dermally into the fat layer on the animal where it has a 30 day residual. Permethrin is a very toxix substance. It is on the children and families protection act as a banned chemical for schools in MA. They ban any chemical that has any chance of causing cancer. I spray a less toxix product cyfluthrin for tick control which i can use around schools, afterhours or weekends. Now in regards to natural or organic repellants, ask the company that sells the product to produce proof of effecacy. I approached one garlic product and they didnt have any. I think it is wrong that companies will try to make some money with no scientific proof that it works. And one last thing organic and natural are two different things, all my organic fertilizers are OMRI certified for organic farming. Natural products will not get that approval. The USDA is less strict than OMRI standards. Just adding my 2 cents about natural products