Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

sprouting garbanzos

2»

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i tried making hummus with 1/2 of them and it was waaay to watery. It also smelled weird so I threw it out. I have a book that says to let them sprout for up to 3 days so I will see what they are like tomorrow.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i tried making hummus with 1/2 of them and it was waaay to watery. It also smelled weird so I threw it out. I have a book that says to let them sprout for up to 3 days so I will see what they are like tomorrow.

• Does anyone have good websites with various instructions for sprouting???

• Hi, I found sproutpeople.com to have good instructions.

Another question: My beans sprouted but had that bad smell to them that everyone here is talking about. I was going to make raw minestrone today and this is one of the ingredients. the recipe calls for heating it for about 10 minutes after water comes to boil, and I am wondering if I will still get sick from the beans if I heat them in this manner. Maybe I can even boil just the garbanzos and add rest of ingredients in after turning off the heat to make the rest of it raw?

• I’ve just started experimenting with sprouting over the past couple weeks, got my first batch of garbanzos to sprout the cute little tails, but noticed as I was “munching” at each rinse that they really tasted best right after soaking. Beyond that they just got more and more sour.

Honestly, I haven’t really had the patience to attempt the sprouting again because they really did have a nice taste just after being soaked for about 8 hours. So I’ve just been putting some in water to soak on days I think I might want to throw some in my evening salad or whatever.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I really recommend sprouting SMALL beans over big ones. They seem less of a problem. Whatever the case, I have to steam mine cuz RAW they’re just toxic for me – send me to the toilet.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

RAWGENE – if they smell funny, don’t use them – they’ve gone bad. I wouldn’t recommend trying to use them, even if you boil them. Instead, buy some fresh garbanzos and boil them, then you can cool the soup to room temp and add the rest of the raw ingredients (if you want to do a partly raw soup.) good luck!

• Thanks for that Winona. I actually threw them in the pot with other raw ingredients and they are in the fridge for later tonight. Do you think they contaminated all the other veggies (celery, onions, garlic)

• Well I ended up discarding the garbanzos and put in some canned ones from trader joes, simmering everything for about 15 minutes at first. Then added in the rest of the raw ingredients for a delish soup. Thanks all.

• I just finished making raw humus at first attempt.

I soaked the chick peas/ garbanzos 24 hours till plump. Then drained them in a plastic colander and left them a few hours. I dunked them in a basin of water every 3 hours and let them drain again, after 2 days they had long tails so I used half in a bread recipe and half in a humus.

I never used a tea towel Maybe the wet tea towel method is allowing moulds?

• jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

I sprout garbanzos all the time. The smell everyone is talking about is from fermentation that happens wihen you let them 1. sit too long between rinses and 2. have them store in a container or space that is too warm and/or doesn’t allow air to circulate properly.

My favorite recipe is a one from Renee Underkoffler’s Living Cuisine book for Falafel Flats. Make some tahini and a raita I came up using cultured coconut milk…Delish!

So anyone game for trying again, remember:LOTS OF WATER. RINSE RINSE RINSE DRAIN DRAIN DRAIN :) Mine usually have tails with 36 to 48 hours.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

Funny I should read this as I am trying to sproat some now. I already soaked them, and they are hanging out inside a nutmilk bag in a colendar (makes for easy rinsing, keeps bugs off but leaves them open to air). So far no funky smell and I already see a few little tails. Of course this is as far as I got, haven’t even decided what to do with them yet. Likely some sort of hummus/dip.