Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Need some kind of drink high in calcium ?

I can’t get sesame seeds and almond milk just tastes terribly icky. I’ve tried flavoring it with combinations of vanilla beans, honey, and salt to make it taste better. Drinking almond milk is like torture, but I really need to step up my calcium intake. Are there any other drinks or smoothies I can make that are high in calcium ?

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

If you don’t like the taste of almonds, don’t eat them, period. I don’t know why almond milk is so horrible for you, but if that’s the case, don’t force it. Why can’t you get sesame seeds? They should be obtainable everywhere and are much higher in calcium. Sprouted even moreso. Collard greens are very very high in calcium as is kale and broccoli, if you can stand those… I juice kale occasionally but I can’t stand the taste of collards. You might though.

• There are plenty of smoothie recipes here that incorporate dark leafy greens (spinach, etc). These greens are high in calcium, and the smoothies taste great too!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

agreed. green smoothies or juices with greens. check out my alka-lemon-lime recipe for a delicious juice.

you might also want to make sure that your almonds are really raw. if you are getting them from the supermarket then they aren’t. don’t underestimate the difference in taste between something RAW and something pasteurized. i never liked almonds before. here’s an affordable source: wholesale-almonds.com

• Well what the others said are right, but check out Youtube ‘David Wolf on calcium’!

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Greens, greens, and more greens…Kale, Chard, and Spinach are all really high in calcium, and blended up with some nice bananas and some berries…you can’t beat it!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Olives and figs are very high in calcium. Other sources are: papaya, dulse, kelp, dandelion, lambs quarters, broccoli, avocado. For wild foods pigweed/lambs quarters is one of the best sources of calcium.

Also, magnesium and silicon form calcium in your body.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I blend tons of kale into honeydew melon. Loads of calcium that way. I’m not very good about drinking enough, though, because I’m not a huge lover of any kind of smoothie, but it is a good tasting mixture, the kale with honeydew melon, and not too high in calories.