Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How do I tell if a young coconut is bad or has only a little meat before I buy it?

Is there any way to tell if a young coconut is bad or just has very little meat before you open them? I always use the ones with alot of meat, so if you guys have a technique to tell how much meat a coconut has BEFORE you open would be great. I know if you look at the bottom and it’s pink, that means it’s rotten, but that’s not obviously the best way to tell because I would like to tell how much meat a coconut has. Any help?? THANKS!!!

Comments

• Usually they’re wrapped in cellophane and moisture can get trapped on the bottom resulting in mold. But that doesn’t mean the inside has gone bad. I don’t think there really is a way to tell. You’ll just have to play the game of coconut roulette!

• Oh, okay chakra!

• I know I always go for the heavier ones, though sometimes that just means that there is a lot of juice and little meat (mostly jelly). it is like playing Russian roulette though, you just never know!

• the trick is looking at the bottom. you want white, white, white. no weird colors. no mold. the bigger the better and more meat. g’luck!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Check for any purple at the bottom. If there’s purple it’s probably got mold on the inside also.

• After purchasing a couple days ago, mold emerged on top and discolor (pinkish purple) at bottom. I opened and checked. I even tasted the coconut water. It tasted just fine. Just like playing Russian roulette, indeed!