Sweet Potato Chips and carrot chips

I thought making chips would be easy. I’ve tried slicing them thinly and also thickly. I’ve tried seasoning them and putting oil on them before dehydrating.They just don’t don’t turn out crisp or tasty. What is the correct procedure?

Comments

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Here’s a recipe for yam chips, perhaps this would help!
    http://goneraw.com/recipes/172-Spicy-Yam-Chips

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Marstan, I am new to dehydrating, and my chips don’t come out crisp or tasty either. Instead, I recommend trying cracker recipes – like the jalapeno corn crackers at this site. They come out crispy enough to use like chips with salsa or guacamole.

• Thanks Winona. I thought I was the only one who didn’t have any success with chips. I’ll try the cracker recipes as you suggested.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Marstan – I never liked flax crackers, instead try these: Sunflower Seed Crackers 1 cup sunflower seeds, ground in coffee grinder 1 cup almonds or walnuts, ground 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped 2-3 Tbsp fresh parsley 1/2 cup shredded carrot 1-3 Tbsp onion, chopped 1 Tbsp salt 1 Tbsp italian seasoning 1/3 cup water or 1/3 cup fresh tomato, pureed 1 Tbsp olive oil

Combine all ingredients except sunflower seeds in a vitamix or blender, and blend well. Pour into a bowl and add the sunflower seed powder. Mix with a spoon. Spread out on a dehydrator teflex sheet. Dehydrate for 6 hours at 105, flip, and dehydrate another 8 hours or until crispy.

• Winona, Your Sunflower Seed crackers do look good. I will try them. I do like flax crackers though and I have tried a recipe similar to your Sunflower Seed Cracker recipe but with flax seeds (but I added chopped red bell pepper and some Bragg Liquid Aminos). I’m looking forward to trying the Sunflower Seed cracker recipe.