Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

A superb Truly Raw Skincare line I discovered!

I tell you- it kills me to see fellow friends, organic food fans, and raw foodists alike being mislead to believe the very so-called organic, chemical free skincare line is just that- chemical free and organic. Upon discovering my delayed food allergies to coconut, grapefruit, and macadamia nuts to name only a brief few that seem to be contained in some form in virtually every line- I was on a mission to discover what else was out there and what did NOT have any toxic ingredients. I’ve begun compiling a list of everything I have researched and approved but this particular line I recently discovered and have been pleasantly surprised and excited about!

Raw Gaia- http://www.rawgaia.com/. Its a brand new company(only about 1 yr old based in the Uk). If you love raw cacao- wait till you try their moisturizers and the toner is heavenly smelling. The owners are extremely sweet and helpful.

Enjoy!

PS. just a fyi- the every popular MSM skincare line and lotions I know many raw foodists are a fan of sorry to say- are on the AVOID list. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Comments

• koolieaidedkoolieaided Raw Newbie

I’ve been trying to find raw skincare products. I have moderately bad acme, which has left we with dark scars and red spots. Even though I haven’t been raw for long I’ve notice some changes in my skin. At first my skin was really red and kind of rough around my nose and on my cheeks, but then it started clearing up. Do you think that my skin was trying to get rid of the toxins so that’s why it was so red? I have really sensitive skin too so I never can find anything to help it…it only irritates it. Hopefully Raw Gaia works I’m going to try it.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Try http://www.lush.com Their stuff is 100% natural with no synthetic ingredients. It smells amazing and is gorgeous. I use their hair stuff and cleanser, that’s all I need to use now.

There’s another thread about MSM on this site, many find it useful.

I am sure your skin is just detoxing. I got a few spots when I was, and everything is fine now. It can take some time for your skin to get healed. The body likes to focus on the major organs first, the skin is normally left till the major work is done on the internal organs.

Drink plenty of water, cucumbers are good too, and think yourself beautiful :)

• Zoe, I could not find the info at Lush about MSM.Any suggestions on where to find it, Thanks!

• Zoe- I got bad news for you- that Lush line is NOT 100% natural with no synthetic ingredients! It has quite a few Top Ten Toxic ingredients including Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Parabens, dyes, parfum, etc.

In health and harmony.

• I love my moisturizer, it’s called Bee Yummy. It’s 100% raw and I’m reading the ingredients right now; honey, honey cappings, bee pollen, propolis, st.johns wort oil, royal jelly, water and balsam fir needles. My skin just eats it up. Here’s the website www.live-live.com or just do a search engine for Bee Yummy. Enjoy!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

.Thanks orgfoodaddict, Hmmmm, I called Lush a while ago, and asked them about what goes into their products, and they promised me that everything except the parabens is natural and not synthetic. The perfumes are made from essential oils, and dyes from natural sources, everything comes from natural sources. They said they used an old type of paraben which is not as toxic as the modern types. I did get them to promise that to me on the phone! I kept on saying “Are you sure? can you promise me that?” And they said yes! Maybe they were lying to me, can’t think why they would though… Luckily I only need to use a cleanser and shampoo. So I use one of their freshly made cleansers which has no parabens in it.

mham – I don’t know where you’d find info on MSM, other than on here, some people wrote on here a while ago that they make their own MSM things, just by adding it to their normal lotions, shampoo etc. There’s an MSM thread going on somewhere in here.

• Zoe-

I’ve run into the same thing with several organic lines I was looking into or used at one time. All assure you it contains nothing unnatural or toxic- but what it comes down to is the ingredients. I created this list for my myspace buds with what to avoid and informative website to read up on:

Here is the Top ingredients to avoid (as noted on the www.thegreenguide.com, http://www.terressentials.com/, http://www.alchemistsapprentice.com/glossary.aspx, and http://www.bewellstaywell.com/IngredientsToAvoi…)- Do take the time to view these sites for more detailed information and why its imperative to avoid these ingredients!!! :

1. Antibacterials

2. Coal Tar Colors: FD&C Blue 1, Green 3, Yellow 5 &6, D&C RED 33

3. Diethanolamine (DEA, TEA)

4. Quaternium 15 (Formaldehyde)

5. Glycol Ethers

6. Mercury & Lead

7. Methyl, Propyl, Butyl, and Ethyl Parabens

8. Mineral Oil, Parrafin, Petrolatum (Petro-Chemicals), Liquidum Paraffinum

9. Phenylenediamine (PPD)

10. Fragrance (contains Phthalates)

11. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS); Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES); Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ALS); Ammonium Laureth Sulfate (ALES); Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate; Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate; Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate; Potassium Coco Hydrolysed Collagen; TEA (Triethanolamine) Lauryl Sulfate; TEA (Triethanolamine) Laureth Sulfate; Lauryl or Cocoyl Sarcosine; Disodium Oleamide Sulfosuccinate; Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate; Disodium Dioctyl Sulfosuccinate.

12. Toluene

13. Dimethicone; Dimethicone Copolyol; and Cyclomethicone.

14. Sodium PCA

15. Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Propylene/Butylene Glycol (PG)

16. Imidazolidinyl Urea

17. Dioxin

18. Glycerin

19. Coamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine

20. Alcohol, Isopropyl (SD-40)

21. Synthethetic Preservatives including: Methylisothiazolinone & Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Triclosan, and yes- the not so natural grapefruit seed extract!!

22. Aluminum- watch out for this ingredient that is most commonly seen in your typical deodarants and big time in almost every microdermabrasion product and treatment out there! Not to mention its also a heavy metal!!! Don’t prevent the lymph nodes there from doing their job!!

23. Last BUT not least- These Sunscreens- Benzophenone-3, homosalate, octy-methoxycinnamate (octinoxate), Padimate-O, and Parsol 1789. These ingredients actually are capable of DNA Damage!!

Also, Check out the Environmental Working Group (http://www.ewg.org/) a US watch dog organization that strives to research and help make the public aware of the possible toxicities in skincare and the like.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Thanks, we have to remember what goes on our skin goes into our bodies too.

• I am excited to see that people are becoming conscious of not just what goes in their bodies but what goes on it as well! You may also want to check out a company called ONE Group who has, “The World First Certified Organic Range of Skin, Hair, Body, Nutritional, and Cosmetic Products” They have been Certified to Food Standards! I was thrilled when I found this because, as many know, and as you’ve been saying, the organic and natural skin and body products pretty far from ‘natural’ when you look a little deeper. I also think its sensational that there is now a Cosmetics line available! Check out the web site and see for yourself. Be sure to look at the ingredient glossary too!

• Here is the link to ONE Groups site http://www.weallcare.mionegroup.com

• orgfoodaddict- What do you use for sunscreen?

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Has anyone else noticed burning less when in the sun? I have been out alot in my garden (and oddly when it gets it’s hot/sunniest for hours), and I haven’t burnt yet. Normally I burn within half an hour. I don’t see fresh lemons much here, and forget organic, but I read about lemon peel helping your skin cope with sun. I’d love to test that sometime. Though how would I know the difference if I’m already burning less, and how many hours would be agreeable/not pushing it? That’d take a lost of experiments.

To make this even more off topic…I need to buy some dried organic lemon peel. I have been dying for some Lavender-Lemon tea and perhaps un-baking.

• Regarding koolieaided’s post, it sounds like you have Rosacea. My sis,father and I have it, and you can help it by wearing sunscreen, avoiding caffeine, hot beverages and spicy foods which aggravate it, and there are special prescription creams which can help. Also use products for your skin that are unscented and sensitive without all the parabens and chemicals.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Glycerin? What’s wrong with glycerin?