Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Star Rating

Ok, so I know this is soooo petty, but when I post a recipe, really I would LOVE any creative criticism if anyone has it so I can improve. I’m trying to convert my family to SEMI raw and any suggestions on recipes would help. I don’t know about everyone else, but I have noticed recipes that sound great, and then there are 3 stars with not a single comment on what to do to improve. Like, hey, it’s too salty, how about trying a bit of mustard seed or just beat that with a sledge hammer. That, and I’ve noticed stars pop up BEFORE it’s humanly possible for someone to prep, eat and rate. I think it would help out when you are looking for something specific because believe it or not, I love reading the comments on everyone’s recipes, it helps me decide on whether or not I will try it, and if I do try it, what might help make it more of a compromise meal.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I agree with you completely… I also make my choices by the comments and love the different suggestions they usually make..

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I agree. How can you rate something you have not made and tasted yourself? That’s not really fair for others that judge at first site by the star rating, whether to make it or not.

The feedback of others, and suggestions is the part I love and depend on, especially when people talk about substitution of ingredients. I am so disappointed that goneraw changed the program to when you print a recipe it does not print the comments. I realize it’s because people would have pages and pages printing out, but just say print from page 1 to 1, that’s not hard. I’d rather have an option than none other than copying and pasting everything in another program.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Agreed! I don’t believe stars should be given unless the recipe has been made! And yes, if someone feels the need to give such a low rating then they could at least give an explanation of why, and what improvements could be made.

• Those things are what I was trying to convey, it’s like, I consider you all to be almost like friends, so, if I made something for a friend and went “so, what do you think” they aren’t going to say 3 stars lol, they will condemn it for what it is :)

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I was trying to figure out the same thing. You can’t rate a recipe when nobody was even tried it yet. I’m still trying to understand why all of the comments on the graham cracker recipe I posted are positive but there’s only 4 stars? If they don’t think it is that good, they should give a suggestion for what would make it better,

Btw, you can rate your own recipes before anyone else even views them. I rate my recipes to help people decide on what they should rate it and whether to try it. So in case you ever want to rate your own recipes, you can!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

For what it is worth, RawKidChef, some may think of 4 stars as a fairly high rating! I posted quite a while ago about what rating starts mean to me.

• 5 stars
  • jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Kandace, I totally love the distinction you make between 4 stars and 5 as being “recipes i will make again and again” and “recipes non-raw friends would love.” because that’s a big difference! There are recipes I absolutely love and eat all the time, but I still wouldn’t necessarily give them to my cooked omni boyfriend, because they just wouldn’t taste quite the same to someone who’s still eating dairy, sugar, meat, etc. There are other recipes that I would give to literally anyone, and yes, I think we should save 5 stars for those!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Oh thank you so much kandace! I’m sorry if I sounded picky, one of my friends and I have a club where a bunch of people rate different things, and he said 4 stars was a so-so rating. But he’s become a bit of a “bully” so I don’t trust him on that. Thank you tellin me the difference between 5 and 4 stars! :)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I don’t pay attention to the stars anymore. If I like the ingredients and it sounds good, I will make it. I do appreciate people comments on recipes esp if they are tips. I love to read the comments people give the recipe – esp mine so I can get feedback on my recipe. I have come up with several new ideas of how to make different tastes for things from the comments. I believe the comments are more helpful than the stars.

• I agree queenfluff, I really value the comments more than the stars themselves!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Great distinction between the stars, I like that! Especially the difference between 4 and 5 stars, and by stating it that way, yes there is a big difference!

• I agree with queenfluff too, If someone didn’t like a recipe I may would, and the opposite can be true too. First I just look over the ingredients, the appliances necessary to make it, then have a look at the comments. If I have everything for it and sounds good, I make it.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i also look at comments more than stars. but stars can be useful. i think once more people visit the site, some recipes will stand out as more popular. that doesn’t mean the nonpopular ones are bad – it’s simply good to know what lots of people tend to like.