coconut milk

so i bought some coconut oil in a little jar . woohoo!!!! i tried putting it in a fruit smoothie, and it didn’t go so well. see, I really like the taste, but the waxiness at first is very off putting. then it melts in my mouth and it’s wonderful. when i tried to use it in my smoothie, there were little wax pieces in my smoothie that made it kinda yucky to me. i’ve seen smoothie recipes that call for coconut oil though, so what am i doing wrong?

Comments

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Are the other ingredients you are blending at room temp? Maybe try warming the oil very gently in a water bath or dehydrator and then blend.

• Hi tunacupcakes, you make me laugh because the first few times I tried to add the coconut oil it did the same thing, it was like chunky, I felt like I was chewing on wax lips lol. I have removed the oil from my smoothies unless I am using all room temperature ingredients and am blending to the point where it may warm a bit. Coconut oil is so temperature sensitive that it melts at the body’s heat and freezes at room temperature.

• hmmmmm.. well it had strawberries in it,and those have to stay in the fridge. i also would prefer cold smoothies. if i melt it and then use it would freeze up again, wouldn’t it? ok…so my options are room temp smoothies or no coconut oil. ok. sounds good. thank you!!

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

the first time i used coconut oil i didn’t know it would harden a bit when it was chilled, so i drop all of my smoothie ingredients into my blendtec and get sidetracked by my little boy, come back a bit later to start up the blender and almost blow the motor!! my coconut oil had gone solid hanging out with my frozen fruit! lesson learned, and now i share it with you!

• ah. thank you! I will remember that.