Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The AVOCADO

13»

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Yeah, thanks for the reference for the spinach pie!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Karuna – I’m glad you’re trying the avocado. it’s bland when plain, just add plenty of salt and lime and the flavor will pop. Angie – the vitamixed chocolate avocado with sliced strawberries is my FAVORITE mousse. it’s chocolatey. be sure and serve it super cold (freeze it for a half hour if ya want!) yummers.

• It makes a bit of difference WHICH kind of avocado you are using too. Also how ripe it is. In my opinion the Hass is the best and tastiest one. It has the bumpy texture on the outside. The smoother ones like Fuarte are winter avocados and are more bland tasting without as much oil in them. The Reed is the real round one and is quite good also. You can’t always tell the ripeness by the color either. Some are still green when ripe. The Hass are ready to be picked when you can feel the oily testure on the outside. Then let them ripen to a nice dark color and just a bit of give when you push on the skin. Marcy

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

didn’t read them all so someone may have said this but i threw some in my smoothie tonight and it was great.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

in a smoothie – nice idea, bitt!

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

It occurs to me this is the post to ask on: Are avocados genetically modified? There’s new “Florida” avocados. I really prefer them, the second half actually keeps a night in the fridge, but I stopped buying them for fear they were GMOs. I recently was told by a stranger seedless watermelon is GM, and I’m curious, but I’ve been eating seedless watermelon my whole life. I was told it was a combo of selective breeding and picking them slightly immature and ripening while transport. (Grossish, but I can’t find seeded anymore.)

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Here’s a recipe from The Sunfood Diet Success System: 10 dates, 10 dino kale leaves, 1 avocado. Cut avocado into 10 pieces. Pit the dates. Put avocado and date inside dino kale leaf, wrap around like a burrito, and devour! :) LOL.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Krystale and angie: You’re welcome! :)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I feel so bad—just found this and your search for that spinach pie 6 months ago!!!! Angie-I know you are still around at least-don’t know about Krysale, but this is for you both! from Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine “Popeye’s Spinach Pie “(a stage 1 meal…yeah!) crust: 1.5 C walnuts, soaked,6 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked, 1C morroccan olives (don’t even know where to get those and hat olives so they did not come to this party),1t marjoram, 1t sage,1t thyme,1t celtic sea salt. Bleand all except olives and press into pie crust-dehydrate 145 degrees for 1-2 hours and then press olives into the crust if you are using them. Filling: 2 avos, 4 c spinach,1T basil,1T thyme,1T oregano,1.5t jalapeno, 1t sea salt. Blend and chill for 2 hours. Spoon into crust. Topping: 2 zucchinis, .25 C olive oil, 1T rosemary-slice zucchini very thin. marinate in Olive oil and rosemary. dehydrate at 145 for 1-2 hours, then layer on top of pie.

• avocado is my favorite food. I like to peel the skin and eat it like I would a peach or something… it’s truly the most sensual when eaten this way!!!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

lzhpt – No worries! I have the book; I just didn’t find it back then – thanks for catching me up!

I think my favorite way to eat avos is still in chocolate pudding, but now I add maca and young coconut meat!

• When I’m craving mac-n-cheese I cut up a firm avocado and sprinkle it with generous amounts of nutritional yeast. Its so simple but yummy and it satisfies the craving!!

• omg i have a love affair with them… i eat 2 a day… avocado with pink sea salt and black pepper, tomato/avocado/hemp salsa slush, avocado/tomato/shisho/dulse, avocado/banana/dulse mashed, avocado/kale or sunflower sprout or purslane/dulse… mmmmm every day my dear, every damn day i must get my avocado fixin’ in!!!

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I have them on my salads a lot and with flax crackers as a snack. I usually make guacamole out of them with the following contents: - red onions - minced garlic - lemon juice - cayanne pepper - occasionally red pepper flake - tomatoes (if I have them)

I may have to try adding some hemp seeds though after reading this thread!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

mmmmm avocado….

If they were cheaper I’d eat them constantly. I usually slice them and eat them with a sliced tomato, lime juice and a dash of sea salt. If I have cilantro and toss that in the mix as well.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Just finished Popeye’s Spinach Pie (above recipe) and it is so delicious. Who would’ve thought avo and spinach w/ herbs as a filling, but it’s a beautiful green color and tastes better than anything i’ve made in a long time.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

a salad of sliced avocado, grapefruit sections, salt and pepper is delicious. At first it didn’t sound appealing, then I had it, now I love it.

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

This is giving me some great ideas on a veg (non sweet fruit?) I’d like to enjoy more! :) I like avos, but I’ve tried putting an avo in a smoothie before, but it came out so gross and bitter! :( What did I do wrong? Makes me afraid to try the chocolate puddin’ recipes.

TropicalRawElla I love what you said about the sensuality of it! I find alot of tender, juicy fruits can have a wonderfully sensual element to them. RawDance knows about my whole fruit meditation thing, it’s totally a part of it!