Carrot top greens

I have never used carrot top greens in either a smoothie or a salad. I’m sure somebody out there has, though. Any suggestions? Is the taste bitter or neutral? I sure love my beet greens and don’t want to throw these away either.Thanks!

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I’ve used them in juice and in smoothies. They’re great and more nutritious than the root! If you put them in a smoothie in large quantities, they can taste a bit spicy. In juice, you hardly notice them. Enjoy!

• Thanks, newbie. I don’t have a juicer, but I’ll definitely use them in green smoothies (in small quantities). I love buying carrots and beets—you get 2 veggies for the price of 1 (even tho’ greens are not technically veggies).

• I have used carrot tops in smoothies. I usually use 60% fruit and 40% greens so I can’t really taste the greens much. The carrot tops do have a different texture though… a little stringy kind of. But very nutritious!

• Thanks, renoir. I guess I’ll chop them up fairly well before throwing them into the blender. I don’t have a Vitamix, just a plain ‘ol cuisinart.

• i heard somewhere (it might have been in the juiceman book) that they are toxic? i wonder about this though. i would like to know definitevly, if anyone knows.

• Mandelicious, I did a search and found that carrot top greens are mildly toxic, especially to those who are sensitive (whatever that means). Here’s a link: www.ohsu.edu/poison/documents/mildlyToxicPlants… Hmmm…what to do? Seems like renoir and newbie have done o.k. with them. Hope I’m not one of the “sensitive” ones!