Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

replacements for nama shoyu and/or miso?

I’m trying to go 100% raw and I read somewhere that nama shoyu and miso are made from a base of cooked ingredients. A lot of raw recipes have nama shoyu or miso in them… do any of you know of any good ways to replace them?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

They’re both made from cooked soy, but the fermentation is live! Seasalt is a good replacement, but both miso and nama shoyu have unique flavors.

• mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

I read somewhere that anything with cooked ingredients in it will cause an immune system response.

• Salt is a good substitute. In a previous post Zoe said that if you marinate mushrooms in lemon juice, salt, olive oil and a little garlic, the remaining liquid is similar to Nama Shoyu and is raw. Beware though… I tried this, and I guess you have to use it right away because I stored the liquid in a jar in the fridge and went to use it about a week later and WHOOOOO!! It stunk bad!!! I ended up tossing it out… It was raw and LIVE for sure!!

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

mewmewmint: I’ve read the negative effect of eating cooked food is blunted or significantly limited if you eat your raw entree or side dish first, and then follow up with your cooked dish. I’ve been eating cooked food at every meal, but I always eat my raw food first. :)

• that mushroom marinade is great… but yes, i would say you need to use it within a day or two at the most.

lots of raw foodists use those ingredients and have great success… it’s just a matter of what works for you. you can still use them and call yourself 100% raw, if that’s what matters.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Mewmewmint – I believe what you are referring to was coined the “white tide.” It is a scientific fact that cooked foods cause an immune system response. However, I think anyone who thinks that going 100% raw completely eliminates this problem is fooling themselves. Nothing in this world is always black or white.

While most fruits and vegetables generally supply more vitamins in a raw form, some actually provide more when cooked. Dr. Andrew Weil believes a cooked vegetarian diet is preferable to a raw foods diet (and he is entitled to his opinion) because many natural toxins exist in raw food that are no longer toxic when cooked. Nothing is 100% and that best any of us can do is try to be informed and make good decisions.

Personally, I don’t think you are doing your body any significant harm by taking in a few items that are not raw, assuming you aren’t getting them from McDonalds.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I have an autoimmune disease and nama shoyu doesn’t cause me any problems. Raw tomatoes do. You have to know your own body and not go by studies. I never seem to fit the mould. Millions of people eat cooked food everyday and most of them don’t have immune responses. You might.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

mandelicious—why would you call yourself 100% if you weren’t? does it matter that much that you’d want to lie about it?

miso and nama shoyu are no more raw than unpasteurized sake (made from fermented cooked rice), or homemade tofu (made from fermented cooked soybeans). they are LIVING foods, meaning they have cultures of living organisms attached, but it has been heat damaged nonetheless.

i wish people in the raw foods community were a little more upfront about these pseudo-raw products. only because i think it confuses the issue to claim they are raw. i end up going to vegan restaurants that have “raw food options” only to find out it is a salad with miso dressing, or zucchini noodles with a nama shoyu dressing. to claim they are acceptable for your diet is totally a personal call. =)

• mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

Anyways I think I should try 100% raw, without the nama shoyu or miso, and see how I feel. I will look for that post you mentioned, Renoir.

• Hey Dain~Do you have a link to an article by Dr.Andrew Weil or anything? I’m trying to find what will be the most healthy option for me and I prefer to read both sides before I make any decisions. If you have any more info that’s be great.